cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank valve leak

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, to make a long story short, dh replaced all dump valves in our 2013 Big Country because the black valve was leaking. Stll leaking. Replaced the seals. Still leaking. He is replacing seals again as i am typing. Still leaks! What are we missing? He is relpacing Valtera seals with valtera. Thanks for any help!
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts
3 REPLIES 3

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I priced them, the seals were selling for $12, while the whole valve assembly was $19. It's the same amount of work to do just the seals or the entire valve, so I replaced the valve.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Coat seals prior to installation. Molykote 111 is what I use.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace the entire valve assembly instead of the seals.

Blade may have a nick somewhere you cannot see.

Pretty much the same procedure as replacing the seals, remove 4 bolts, apart from tank pipe and and remove valve.

Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Do have to be very careful that you do not displace the seal when reinstalling as it can be a very tight fit going back in.

To make it easier, remove and replace the grey tank valve at the same time since they connect via a "Y" and removing both at the same time makes it easier to separate and reinstall.

If I remember correctly, the package recommended to use a dab of Vaseline/grease between the valve body and the seal. The grease will hold the seal in place, otherwise the seal simply falls out of place. I can say that I noticed the seals are easy to dislodge with out the grease so I used some Vaseline grease.

Found a video which may be helpful, at the 5:20 mark, you will see the black valve being reinstalled, although they did not mention or show adding the grease, they did add grease to the seals and that is visable around the 5:20 prt of the video.

VIDEO HERE

Here is another replacement video, that actually mentions the grease..

HERE