cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical issue

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
Ok this is the situation. I am staying at a friends house/farm they set up a 30 amp plug for me to hook up to. (I already have a power surge protector on order now) well we hooked up and my breaker box started smoking (he has "converted" a 50 amp to a 30 amp outlet). we unhooked immediately and I started up my generator, everything works fine off the generator and I'm not sure what was smoking but it seemed to be coming from the inverter(converter? I only have one of these and not sure which) my question is, if the inverter/converter was fried would everything still be working in my rig? or am I gonna be screwed when I try and hook back up to shore power at the spot I'm going to tonight.
17 REPLIES 17

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
I once received a valuable piece of advice from a FAA inspector in charge of making sure my aircraft radio shop followed the rules. He said that if you donโ€™t know how to do what your doing correctly then donโ€™t do it.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
A poorly train person impersonating an electrician.
Action should be taken by the
Action should be taken by you to read the thread? From what I gathered it's his buddy. Bummer situation for sure.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP stated that he is staying at a friend's place and the friend who is not an electrician installed the outlet. Or should I say that he exchanged the 220 volt outlet for a 110 volt outlet but it still has 220 volts
Are you going to sue a friend that lets you stay at their place, probably for free because he screwed up? Scratch one friendship if you do.
I would guess that you lost your converter, microwave, tv and any other 120 volt stuff plugged in.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A poorly train person impersonating an electrician.
Action should be taken by the OP with his states authority to have his license pulled. OP should get persons insurance and file a claim.
Most states require continuing education for renewal of license. I have seen many people walk out on final periods of classes saying I never work on that. Some instructors allow them to get full credit.
It is a crime to not follow instructions for electrical installations.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
A RV 30TT receptacle is used only for RVs. It is for that use only. It is 30 amp 125 volt.

Then how come an electrician wired 220 vac to it?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A RV 30TT receptacle is used only for RVs. It is for that use only. It is 30 amp 125 volt.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
So it is OK to ignore the indicated 125V embossed on the connector?

That embossed voltage doesnโ€™t mean a thing if the circuit is wired incorrectly to the outlet. Too bad that that particular outlet can be connected to either 110 or 220 vac depending on the intended function. It should be 110 vac for RV hookups.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:

That's what I was thinking.....electrical 101.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Unless otherwise defined a normal 30 amp household connection is 220 V like for a dryer. The electrician has to be told that this 30 amp outlet Is for an RV and only 120 V. Not the electricians fault.

The converter probably is definitely fried. You might as well plan Iโ€™m replacing it.
And any other 120 V appliance that happened be on at the same time.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Measure the battery voltage is 13.2+ to confirm all the smoke has not been released from the converter.

^This.
If all your AC and DC fixtures and appliances are working AND you have charging voltage at the battery(s) you may have not killed the converter.

Not saying it may last forever, but???

PS, converter is basically a fancy battery charger. Turns 120V AC into 12V DC.
Inverter uses 12V DC to make 120V AC. Less common.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, likely,the smoke has been let out of anything 120 VAC running before the breaker box melt down.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Your friend isn't a licensed electrician is he?

that he is not, i thought he had it professionally installed. i was wrong

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend isn't a licensed electrician is he?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu