cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead Batteries

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
My coach was plugged into a circuit in which the circuit was blown in my home's electrical panel. Subsequently, the batteries were dead. After a 10 minute drive to battery shop the batteries were reading 11.8. Am now recharging. Any idea why a blown circuit would drain the batteries?
9 REPLIES 9

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
herbert007 wrote:
My son took it home and it was charged up to 12.5. Put the charger on overnite and it came back to 13.8. Everything is good. Thx for all the input.

13.8V suggests a float charge. Turn off the charger and let it sit for an hour then check. Even with a good battery, it will drop back to around 12.7V after sitting with no load.

If that goes well, swing by an auto store. Most will do a load test at no cost. Even if the voltage looks good, it may have lost much of it's storage capability and it will show up in a load test. You don't want to go out boondocking and find out, the battery really was still a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
My son took it home and it was charged up to 12.5. Put the charger on overnite and it came back to 13.8. Everything is good. Thx for all the input.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contrary to conventional wisdom, not all batteries are doomed if drained down significantly. I don't know the scientific reason or if it's the type/brand of battery, but I've had good success bringing some back from the dead, and have them last another two years or so.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also not mentioned yet, is some battery chargers will drain the batteries if power goes off while they are connected. I had a battery maintainer from HF on my chassis battery and my son disconnected the power cord for his use and after a day of being disconnected my battery SOC was 11.8v. Recharged and all was good again. How long were your batteries without power? Days or weeks?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Before you next trip, make sure they are charged to somewhere around 12.7v (after disconnecting the charger and letting them sit for a 1/2hr).

If that does well, take it to the local auto parts store and have them load tested.

If that goes well, you've likely dodged a bullet.

If not, plan on getting new batteries prior to the next trip.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How long was the circuit breaker off?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
When plugged in there is a charging system that keeps the battery charged. This function stops if there is no power from the dead circuit.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
11.8 is pretty much dead and that has harmed them greatly, 12.70 is charged and at 12.40 you need to recharge ASAP. I think your talking starting or chassis batteries, in that case I would go to Sam's Club and get some new ones. The Duracell Penn State brand lead acids are a very good value and they also have the AGM's if you hate battery maintenance.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are a few items that are always using the battery. Radio presets, co detector, propane detector and on some units the main board that a remote control interfaces with. Have your battery thoroughly tested as you just might not have a useful battery anymore if it was drained too low.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member