Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Onboard Air Systems (Updated w/ Pics)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Onboard Air Systems (Updated w/ Pics)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with the Extremeaire Magnum. You have to call them and tell them what you want and they will put together the kit. Here is a pic of everything that came with it. Hard to see but in the plastic bag at the top left are all of the connectors, pressure switches and such.

[image]

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extreme outback at least in my dealings has always been awesome. As I stated earlier in the thread my 20 year old unit is still cruising along just fine and dandy. Their service has been great the few times I called them.

On a side note when I moved the compressor to my new truck a few years ago I got a couple new parts such as a new air filter for it. I went to hook it up. Had a problem it was a real headscratcher for me. I finally realized that I had put the one way valve in the system backwards, duuuuuhhhhh

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Working on the mounting brackets for the tank and pump. Have these drawn up and sent to manufacturing. These are compatible on an F350 Quad Cab, Long bed. If anyone else is interested in similar brackets, by all means let me know. these will be fabricated from 11 gauge stainless steel. Rust won't be an issue.

Hope to have these back by end of next week for mounting. I will report back when I have them.

[image]

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't wait to see this completed and working, that would be a dream setup for me. Not sure I can justify the cost though.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Moomba2002

Sebastopol, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

checking back in how is the project coming along? I am interested how you mounted the compressor and tank with those brackets.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moomba2002 wrote:

checking back in how is the project coming along? I am interested how you mounted the compressor and tank with those brackets.

Just waiting on the brackets from manufacturing. Hopefully will get them in a week or so. I will be certain to post update pics when I get it all installed!

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got some pics to show you. Not done yet, still got wire and plumbing but the brackets are in place. Had to do some slight modifications to my brackets as 11 gauge stainless steel still had some flex to it. The air tank was the bigger problem just because of how much taller that bracket was. Even though everything was nice and tight, just road vibration I think would have been enough to cause the tank to vibrate out of sync with the truck. I don't think it would have fallen off any time soon but worth fixing anyway. I ended up adding the white top bracket just to tie the top of the tank back to the frame and reduce the vibration (see last photo). The Air Compressor I am undecided on. The bracket has less flex but I may still change it out some day with something less prone to vibration.

Anyway, finished for the day. Next will be electrical and the air fittings. I will say that doing this without a lift and on the street in front of my house is a pain in the tail but once it is all done I will be very happy.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking good so far.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have some more pics to show. This time I am working on the wiring harness. There are three sets of wires that need to be run. The first being the wires to power the compressor itself. This is some really thick wire, probably about the thickness of welding cables. I then ran power for the pressure cutoff switch (fills 4 gallon tank to 140psi) and the last is the blow-off valve. While doing this work, I tried to think ahead to make sure I wasn't repeating myself. In this case, I laid out all of the wiring runs I needed and then bundled it all together with zip ties. That way when I fished it through the engine bay and under carriage, I only had to do it once. One of those few times that I made things easier for myself.

The next step was crimping all of the connectors and tidying everything up. The previous owner of the truck had run wiring for the Airbags and Exhaust Brake and he did a really lousy job of it. Wires all over the place that look like a jumble all connected to the battery. I made it a point that I wasn't going to repeat his mess. For the most part, I think I accomplished that and I am pretty happy with the results. I will likely start cleaning up all of his mess as well now that I'm this far into it.

For those wondering, the compressor is rated to pull just under 80 amps at 12v under full load at a continuous duty cycle. This is why the cables have to be so thick. It is connected through an 80 amp circuit breaker and a 12v relay so the power can be switched on from the cab.

Once all hooked up, I was able to power it up. I was a bit surprised that it actually worked the first time and worked correctly (pressure switch and blow off valve worked as expected). I sort of expected I would have missed something but so far all is good.

I do have a leak in the tank where the pressure switch is used to also tie into the mounting bracket back to the frame (last picture of my previous post). This isn't ideal of course but necessary to keep the tank from stating a resonance vibration while the truck was moving. I will need to come up with a fitting to give me more threads while still being able to clamp down on this bracket.

Overall, I am pretty happy with this project. It will be fantastic to have the ability to air up and air down my tires on my terms (and no longer be subject to lousy gas station compressors).

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

My truck has two air compressors already, one for the airbags and the other for the Banks exhaust brakes. These work fine but I can't use them for airing up tires because they are two small for this function.

With my trip to Pismo Beach and airing down my tires to drive on the sand to get to a campsite, I have relied either using my pancake compressor or using a local fill-up station both which take over an hour to fill up (ten tires, truck plus trailer to 80 psi).

I've been looking into a much larger onboard air system, first looking at the ARB systems and other similar solutions. Eventually I stumbled upon the Extremeair Magnum system. I was quite impressed and after about a year of contemplating, finally pulled the trigger. The specs are:

Specs:
-1.5 HP Motor
-82 amps draw @ 100 psi
-Continuous Duty Rating @ 150 psi, 200 psi max pressure
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi”
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16? long x 6? wide x 9.5? tall

I'm pretty happy with the specs and look forward to installing it on my truck this weekend. I won't remove the other two compressors immediately until I'm comfortable with how this system works. Eventually though, I want to tie everything into my new air system (I will have a four gallon air tank in my install).

Does anyone else have an onboard air system and what are your thoughts?

If I could figure out how and where I could add this guy:
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeflow-belt-drive-compressor-v-belt/

To my truck's engine, since the A/C pump and Alternator already share dual V-belts, I would do so in a heartbeat. It looks like it uses the same mounting point style as the A/C pump, but as much as I'd love the compressor, not having A/C is a nope [emoticon]

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Onboard Air Systems (Updated w/ Pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.