cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many strokes??

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Jayco 321RLTS, greasing the hubs (bearing buddy style with zerks under the caps) Been way to long since I have done that. No time to go to the way to busy dealer before a trip. Stroke till grease flows?
35 REPLIES 35

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased my 2nd fifth wheel slightly used. It was two years old and had very little road miles. The previous owner had only towed it short distances and apparently used a grease gun each time he was preparing to go out. He had totally soaked the brakes with grease and there is no way to fix this other than replacing the brake shoes.

Do not use any method of greasing bearings other than removal and hand packing. Replace the seals each time. This only needs to be done on a yearly basis if you tow a lot or less often if you only go a few miles each season. Grease on brake shoes is very dangerous and destroys the shoes. It cannot be washed off with a solvent. There are numerous how to videos on youtube, this is not rocket science!!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
...and there's about 500 YouTube videos on the topic. No need to make it more complicated than it is.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP and as noted above and in my prior answer there is no set number of strokes. Follow the instructions
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.

All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .

As noted, read the Dexter manual or watch the video and tells you how much to pump. No set number of strokes,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.

All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .

I, basically, did. I said that I pumped until I could hear air crackling through the seal, then stopped. We did that for decades on the farm and rarely had any issues. Only had one cultivator that had small gauge wheels that just had crappy hubs and the seals didn't fit tight from new. We ended up having to silicone them all in when we changed them, not for sealing around the outside, but as glue to try and keep them in place.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BB_TX wrote:
Some have reported having grease on the brakes without ever having used the zerks. Apparently the assembler didnโ€™t follow instructions either.

Back in 2016 I had my brand new fifth wheel at a local shop to have the drums replaced with disc brakes.... The trailer was a few months old at best, 3 of the 4 drums had grease on them from assembly.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

With Disk brakes you can see if the seal fails. The design of the seal compresses to the shaft when pressure is applied. Simply pumping synthetic grease will not push past the seal unless itโ€™s bad.

Itโ€™s a simple system but I like oil bath better. If I had drum brakes I would only hand pack.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those subjects that apparently needs to be re-debated about every 6 months. It's doubtful either side will ever change the other.

Personally, I repack bearings by hand. When I do, I put the grease in my palm and force the grease into the bearing by sliding the bearing over my palm. Many have done this for years. I don't have a clue as to if this the best way vs. pumping it in.

My question is it takes a fair amount of pressure to get the grease up in the bearing rollers. How can you pressure pump grease this hard into the bearing without it coming out the seal? Even if you are pumping grease successful to fill the wheel, are you really getting it into the bearing? I honestly don't know.

Also, by filling the wheel cavity with grease, would this eliminate the ability of an empty cavity being able to dissipate heat??

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Rotating the wheel while you're doing it is a must.

And I assume EVERYONE knows that mixing grease can be disastrous ??? So you pump a few shots of grease into those bearing, having no idea what grease those bearings had been packed with prior. So before you do all that pumping grease into those hubs, they were removed initially ,and hand packed with a brand of grease you intend to pump in at a later date ??? I also assume if you pump all the old grease out the front as suggested here all is well ???

Then I also assume the bearings ,brakes ,magnets etc NEVER have to be inspected until you either lose your brakes , or a bearing goes out . Just wondering when do you actually pull a hub ,and really look at things , and properly pack the wheel bearings .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ron3rd wrote:
The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Yes, good description!

Just as a reference, my current FW needed 50 strokes, each hub, to fill the bearings and hub cavity. My FW has 5200 lb axles. I did use nearly 2 cartridges of grease.

People say waste of grease. Maybe, but even good quality grease is cheap. I buy a case at a time, from distributor, for my 3 trailers. I hand pack at times, when pulling a hub, but never feared using the zerks.

In my experience, a hub filled with grease, will run about 10 degrees warmer. Not an issue IMO.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
lol...no more miles over a 5-6 year period than rvers pull their trailers its a moot point. However most never pull a hub to R&R the bearings/brakes on a annual schedule.
Seal brand make no difference if the seal is pushed out of the hub from a grease gun.
I do a annual R&R inspect on my rv and non rv trailers brakes/bearings/suspension.... from habit when I was on the road.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:

Good post.