cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salt Lake City to Reno Nevada

Veagan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for help on best route from Salt Lake City Utah to Reno Nevada. We have a 34 foot motor home pulling a car on a dolly. My husband is super nervous about hills. Motor home is older and afraid to make it work too hard. Any rv suggestion routes? Thx so much.
4 REPLIES 4

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
You have another post going on this subject. Be sure to check it.

It's 518 miles via I-80 and you'll have some 4-6% grades. Not bad... just like most highways in the West.

Have a good trip!

marvin_nielsen
Explorer
Explorer
It will take 7 hours 31 min via I-80 W drive from salt lake city to Nevada.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2012 I pulled a TT on I-80 from SLC to Wells, Nevada at night and I remember only one very long but straight g rade on that section with a few minor curves. Then there was a lot of construction that was bad at night. I have also driven a big part of I80 from the west. You should have it easy.

I have also driven Hwy 50 across all of Utah and Nevada to Reno and only a few short steep grades on sharp curves and it was easy wide two lane with wide shoulders all the way therefore I would think I-80 would be easier as both highways cross the same mountain ranges as I recall.

Be sure and check nvroads.com 511 for road construction especially if you are traveling at night.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Well there's no way of eliminating the hills through mountain country, obviously.

In general, if you want to minimize the grades, stick to the Interstates. In this case it is I-80 all the way. The standard maximum grade on them is 6%. Alternate routes to get you to the same place would likely not have the same maximum.

That road is full of RV's, and likely a lot of them are worse off than yours. Just take it easy, accept the slow speeds on the climbs, and use that same slow speed for the descent. You'll be just fine. Relax, enjoy the views, and try not to think about how much fuel you are using -- there's plenty of gas stations!