cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstreams and compressor fridges?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone own an Airstream trailer with a 12v DC only compressor fridge with the Danfoss compressor, such as in a Norcold or Dometic? If so, how did you accomplish this? They are currently installing the 2-way DC/AC, no propane units. I'm hoping to have ample solar and one of the Danfoss compressor DC only fridges in my Flying Cloud 23FB when I take delivery a year from now, even if they install no fridge, only the space for it, and order the other one separately, and have the dealer install it. However I'd have to know the model # to match the size. If anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it. I currently have the compressor fridge in my truck camper with solar and it works great, even recently in Madera CA at 115 degrees. Thanks
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
13 REPLIES 13

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
n0arp wrote:
You get to choose between 12V and 120V when you order. Whichever you choose, you're stuck with. Our house bank is 48VDC and inverter always on, so we decided to go with 120V.

It's an easy DIY project, if you're handy.

We went with the conversion because we camp at high elevation, don't always level, know about the fire risks associated with (especially unlevel) absorption units, etc. And of course, we have enough solar/battery to comfortably opt for the consistency and other benefits of a compressor unit. That's something you have to account for, depending on how you camp.

I've since replaced the unit with a Haier 9.8 cu. ft. apartment fridge, which has the same exterior cabinet size but a lot more usable space inside, and uses roughly the same energy. With the conversion, you're stuck with the same usable space as the fridge you start with. A 7.5 cu. ft. Norcold vs 9.8 cu. ft fridge residential, and in our case, the space is important enough to justify the change.

According to the Haier safety instructions that fridge is not supposed to be installed in an enclosure.
http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/688057309156_use.pdf?_gl=1*1wc67qi*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2MjcxMzU4NzM...
I've read so many instructions PDF's from 120V fridges and most all small (10 cu.ft and under) 120V home fridges don't make the cut for RV install.

It has plenty of space around it. The only place that it actually touches anything is the trim around the front fascia, and of course underneath. There is 6โ€ of clearance up top (and a roof vent), nearly 2โ€ on each side, plus plenty of space and vent at the back.

From the same manual you pointed out:
โ€ข The following are recommended clearances around the refrigerator:
Sides...............1โ€ (25 mm) Top....................1" (25 mm) Back..................2" (50mm)

Most (small and otherwise) residential fridges are fine to retrofit. When the manual says not to enclose them, it just means donโ€™t put them in a solid box that is flush all around.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
n0arp wrote:
You get to choose between 12V and 120V when you order. Whichever you choose, you're stuck with. Our house bank is 48VDC and inverter always on, so we decided to go with 120V.

We went with the conversion because we camp at high elevation, don't always level, know about the fire risks associated with (especially unlevel) absorption units, etc. And of course, we have enough solar/battery to comfortably opt for the consistency and other benefits of a compressor unit. That's something you have to account for, depending on how you camp.

I've since replaced the unit with a Haier 9.8 cu. ft. apartment fridge, which has the same exterior cabinet size but a lot more usable space inside, and uses roughly the same energy. With the conversion, you're stuck with the same usable space as the fridge you start with. A 7.5 cu. ft. Norcold vs 9.8 cu. ft fridge residential, and in our case, the space is important enough to justify the change.

According to the Haier safety instructions that fridge is not supposed to be installed in an enclosure.
http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/688057309156_use.pdf?_gl=1*1wc67qi*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2MjcxMzU4NzM...
I've read so many instructions PDF's from 120V fridges and most all small (10 cu.ft and under) 120V home fridges don't make the cut for RV install.

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing this. Seems like it could be a viable option in the future.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Also, did you still retain the 120v operation option or is it now strictly dc only?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, was this a relatively easy dyi project? And what was your primary reason for switching over?

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
Can you tell me more about this conversion unit. I'm not familiar with this and how it's applied, or incorporated into an existing absorption refrigerator. Thanks

You remove the absorption unit and replace it with a compressor. You end up keeping the same cabinet.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product-category/hvac/

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tell me more about this conversion unit. I'm not familiar with this and how it's applied, or incorporated into an existing absorption refrigerator. Thanks

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
Yes I will ask there too, thanks. Does anyone know the comparison of amp draw between the 2?

My Norcold N841 converted to the JCR HVAC unit used 1.0-1.3kWh/day, depending on ambient conditions.

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I will ask there too, thanks. Does anyone know the comparison of amp draw between the 2?

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might try asking Here

https://www.airforums.com/

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put the ac,dc frig in and just put a nice solar and battery setup in the camper. Also carry a generator for backup.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
You could use a JC Refrigeration HVAC conversion unit.