cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saw a TT with rear entry

Over the years there has been the occasional post regarding a TT or 5ver with a rear entry. I have never seen much reporting of this or that make which offers one. They are very uncommon.

Yesterday, driving down a main highway within Calgary, I passed a truck towing a TT and was surprised to see it had a rear entry door, curbside.

I think I have only ever seen one such thing in my travels.

This one was roughly 25 - 26' and the large rear decal said Cherokee.

Just an observation I thought I would share.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
14 REPLIES 14

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I had a small camper, and one option was a rear door. The amount of space for this model seemed to be the same in either design. Nowhere to put the spare tire since the door was in the middle, that was an issue. No where to put racks, like bike racks, or other hitch storage tings.
I did not see any benefit.
Side, passengers side, because of campground layouts. Picnic tables are on the passenger side if you back in truck at front, trailer at rear).
If entering the camper when on the side of a road, then door on passengers means you hit sidewalk traffic, not highway traffic when opening the door.
The awning is on the side, good place for a door when it is raining.
Rear awning possible, but the side is always bigger and big enough to have more than one person put a chair, or a table and enjoy the shade.
So, why a rear door?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I completely understand what you're referring to and I've only seen one rear entry trailer and it happened to be recently on an approximately 32ft bumper pull.
The glaring issue that stands out is backing deep into a site, you often lose level ground, which we always do.

Perhaps convenient stepping up to rear bedroom but not practical given the layout of 99% of places we stay, level ground being #1.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Had an 05 Cherokee 28A with a rear entry door. it was more for storage when you folded the bottom bunk up. but it was a full size door with a window with a screen door. found a small metal sign that said Employees only and stuck it on the glass of the door.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I recently came across a manufacturer of travel trailers that were rear entry. They were beautifully hand made and quite heavy for their length, but they were cool. If I can remember the name, I'll chime in again.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

afidel wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
They are not uncommon. There are several models on this page with rear entry (other examples elsewhere):

Grand Design travel trailers

Rob

Not one of those models has a rear entry....

Actually they do, in industry parlance rear entry means a door behind the wheels.
Rear is the very back, as in the back of the trailer, the end that faces behind, not at some place on the side.
My Tango has 2 doors on the side, one near the back and one near the front.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's a big 5th wheel with a rear door in the park we are in right now.

The problem is it eats up lots of valuable wall space in most layouts.

Common in truck campers because unless it's a really big one, you have to put in on the back but for trailers, it's rarely a priority.

Another issue...If you've ever camped in a hilly area, it's not unusual for the rear bumper to be over a downhill and several feet above the ground. If the door is near the axles, it limits this issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
The smaller Airstreams have their doors on the rear.
Not that common but common enough.
It’s just easier to design enclosed areas on both ends for beds, dining, and living areas (also larger bathrooms), vice a passageway through most of the TT length.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
They are not uncommon. There are several models on this page with rear entry (other examples elsewhere):

Rob

Actually they do, in industry parlance rear entry means a door behind the wheels.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Second Chance wrote:

Rob

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:

Rob

That's not what they're talking about, they're taking about actually on the back of the trailer. I've looked over thousand of layout drawings and there have only been a handful with a door on the back that weren't toy haulers, and I've seen exactly one that had an entry on the driver's side.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Door doesn’t appear to have any awning protection. I guess one could be added.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Like that, but twice the size.
You just don't see them every day.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean like this?

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015