Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll up tonneau cover for GMC 2500HD Short Bed

xanth
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone!

I used to have a '08 GMC 2500HD short bed with an Extang RT low profile tonneau cover on it. We towed a 30ft Weekend Warrior 5th wheel with it. Worked fine, until I impacted the rails of the cover with the hitch pin on a couple tight turns. One time, just left a dent in the rail, 2nd time, ripped it off completely.

Currently have a '13 GMC 2500HD (same body style) and tow a 30 ft Cougar with it, and currently searching for a roll up tonneau cover for it.

I really like the Truxedo Lo Pro, and X15 series (have an X15 series on my Colorado), but am concerned about impacting the rails for the tonneau cover, since they are low profile, they mount inside the bed.

Secondly looking at a cover that mounts on the bed rails, but I really don't like the look and don't really want to narrow the clearance between the rails and 5th wheel.

Kinda of hard to try these covers out before hand, and they are expensive to buy one that might not work.

Anyone have any experience with the Lo Pro and/or X15 on a GM 2500HD short bed towing a 5th wheel? Issues or impacts/damage the cover rails? Or any thoughts on the best option for a roll up cover?

Thanks!
16 Keystone Cougar
15 Jeep GC
13 Sierra 2500HD
06 Pontiac GTO
88 Pontiac Fiero x2
11 REPLIES 11

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Problem I have with most of them is seeing where the hitch is out the back window with either a tool box or a cover. Perhaps a roll up would not block the view out the back.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
10 Years ago I had a Truck Covers USA retractable cover. Worked great and would do it again. Not sure if they are still around, but if so could be one to consider.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
ACCESS LORADO ROLL-UP COVER

This is the one I use. It is low-profile, that has slightly canted rails, to allow better clearance for FW towing. I have used several versions of ACCESS covers for 20 years. they are good quality, will last forever.

Jerry
This is the one I use as well. There is no issue with hitting the rails.

Access Lorado Performance Tonneau Cover

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Pace Edwards metal roll up cover on a 2015 Chev 2500 short bed - no issues hitting rails. But might be more of a pin box issue over the roll up bed cover. I have a B&W hitch and plenty of clearance. I've turned sharp enough to break the back window of the truck, but not hit the bed rails...

xanth
Explorer
Explorer
MNRon wrote:
Can’t comment on the roll-ups your interested in, but want to suggest an alternative. I’ve had a 3-fold TonnoPro on my 2013 Silverado SB for 8 years and love it. It was less expensive than most. The soft vinyl cover holds up well (3-4yrs of snow in MN winters). I flip fold it to the front when running with the 5er. It doesn’t require any additional rails or hardware that impinges on the bed opening. Give it a look.

That's not a bad idea, I'll take anther look at them. Had one on my Colorado and didn't care for it, but might be easier to use with the 5th wheel.

MFL wrote:

This is the one I use. It is low-profile, that has slightly canted rails, to allow better clearance for FW towing. I have used several versions of ACCESS covers for 20 years. they are good quality, will last forever.

Jerry

I'll take a look at them, thanks.

southernsky wrote:
I have the Truxedo Lo Pro on my Ram and hit the rail a couple times with my pin box on a real sharp off angle turn. Reason is I have an air ride pin box and let the air get a little low. Last time I had to get a small maul and a block of wood to beat it back in place.

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of. I don't have an air ride pin box though, maybe I'll just have to to out to a big parking lot and do some measuring...

cummins2014 wrote:
southernsky wrote:
I have the Truxedo Lo Pro on my Ram and hit the rail a couple times with my pin box on a real sharp off angle turn. Reason is I have an air ride pin box and let the air get a little low. Last time I had to get a small maul and a block of wood to beat it back in place.

Same cover on my Ram truck, no problems with rail clearance towing the fifth wheel.

Good to know, thanks.
16 Keystone Cougar
15 Jeep GC
13 Sierra 2500HD
06 Pontiac GTO
88 Pontiac Fiero x2

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:

Same cover on my Ram truck, no problems with rail clearance towing the fifth wheel.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MNRon wrote:
Can’t comment on the roll-ups your interested in, but want to suggest an alternative. I’ve had a 3-fold TonnoPro on my 2013 Silverado SB for 8 years and love it. It was less expensive than most. The soft vinyl cover holds up well (3-4yrs of snow in MN winters). I flip fold it to the front when running with the 5er. It doesn’t require any additional rails or hardware that impinges on the bed opening. Give it a look.

This is what we have also (might be a different brand).

No rails. Just make sure to take some measurements to ensure it's clear of the hitch but it can stay secured with clips on the front 1/3 while hitched.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tuxedo. Love it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK