Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Wi if booster
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Wi if booster

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many good wi-fi boosters however many campgrounds simply do not have the bandwidth to support streaming multiple videos at the same time
(You, the guy on the next site, the guy on the next site) SOME (not many) Have technology to block that by the way

If you gonna stream.. Get an unlimited Cellular Device FMCA Tech Connect. T-Mobile 5G, (That may have limits on hot-spot usage) or do what I did. Over the Air Antenna.. alas that won't work in the apartment I now live in (Farady cage type building)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ericosmith

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm might add that those who stream in the campground tend to ruin it for the rest of us who are just trying to do some normal internet and email stuff. Might I suggest that you download your content in advance so you can either watch it offline on your tablet or cast it to your TV.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ericosmith wrote:

I'm might add that those who stream in the campground tend to ruin it for the rest of us who are just trying to do some normal internet and email stuff. Might I suggest that you download your content in advance so you can either watch it offline on your tablet or cast it to your TV.

If a CG signal is strong enough to support streaming there won't be any impact in your ability to check your email.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

Actually your right, I don’t understand about bandwidth. I do understand that some people had rather be condescending than answer questions.

Most campgrounds that we have been to, either limit bandwidth (throttle it) or just don't have a lot of bandwidth to make streaming possible. A Wi-Fi Booster isn't going to help in that instance. Bandwidth is the maximum amount of data that is transmitted in a given amount of time. You can have great signal strength (maybe the campground's antenna is right next to your camp site) and you may have good download speeds (measured with a speed test web site/app), but if the campground limits how much data you can receive, there is no way to improve that.

At our seasonal campground, the owners don't throttle bandwidth, but they do monitor it. Our site was a good distance from the nearest Access Point, so I purchased a Ubiquiti NanoStation that would grab the signal and send it directly to my router. Without the NanoStation, I would get 3 - 5 Mbps download speeds. With the NanoStation, I would get about 30 Mbps download speeds. 3-5 Mbps wouldn't make for a very good streaming experience, but 30 Mbps worked pretty well. We did not stream very often, maybe just a few movies/month.

I worked with the campground owners to make sure my NanoStation was connecting to a good access point that did not have a lot of bandwidth demand. It may have gotten a lot of connections because it was in a high traffic area, but it wasn't in a place where many other campers were using it for streaming or other bandwidth demanding activities, like gaming. That Access Point was about 250 yards from our site.

Our family of 4, average about 70 GB of data usage/month. When we are at home, we average about 1 TB of data usage/month.

As others have mentioned, for streaming, you'd be better off getting a 4G/5G hotspot device that offers lots of monthly data or if you are lucky an unlimited plan. You can also use your smartphone's hotspot feature, if your data plan offers lots of data. Some carriers will limit the amount of data you can consume through a smartphone's hotspot, so check with your carrier. Most smartphone hotspots allow multiple devices to connect to it.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

Anyone who even thinks about connecting a smart TV to campground WiFi clearly doesn’t understand the concept of bandwidth.

Claims like these really aren't helpful. I've connected to quite a few of CG's wifi and was able to work remote and stream TV just fine. Techwriter has done a pretty in depth study and concludes that a lot of CG's can support streaming and it's getting better.

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michael nailed it.
Any network application is limited by its lowest capacity component . At a campground that component is always going to be the connection ( a MODEM) to their ISP, or internet service provider. In urban areas ISP can deliver 100-300 Mbps (million bits per second). In rural areas a FAST internet connection might be 10 Mbps. A Netflix user consumes about 5 Mbps. Do the math. A 10 Mbps connection would support only two Netflix users, and they would likely have buffering issues. Everyone else would have trouble downloading an email.

To put it in a way most RVers would understand, it would be like trying to run two A/C units and a microwave at the same time on a 30 amp circuit.

I suppose it’s possible that a Resort campground might purchase a commercial grade internet connection, but proper etiquette would require that you confirm that before you start streaming.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

I suppose it’s possible that a Resort campground might purchase a commercial grade internet connection, but proper etiquette would require that you confirm that before you start streaming.
Oh I'm sure everyone will be doing that.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wifi antenna

This is the best I've found. Yes, it's expensive, but boy does it work. Your best reception will be to have a clear line of sight to the campground's antenna/repeater, but right now I'm amplifying a signal blocked by trees and it's still serviceable.

Getting it up as high as possible is a big help too.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wound up getting a King something or other ( I don’t remember the exact name ). It works perfectly and does everything that we want it to do. Was able to download Roku from were we park the camper at home,and download all the channels that come with that. If all this works this good at the different campgrounds that we go to we may not ever hook to there cable again.

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 01:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

RRinNFla wrote:

Anyone who even thinks about connecting a smart TV to campground WiFi clearly doesn’t understand the concept of bandwidth.
I think about it, and I found several that actually work.

Care to share what you found out to work effectively?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Wi if booster
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.