cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mexico's Highway Of Death

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Numbers vary, but families and business owners say the real numbers are over 150. People working in Laredo from Monterrey/Saltillo or people simply driving back and forth have disappeared into thin air. Cellphones go dead, cars disappear and police, local, federal and national guard don't seem to be doing much of anything. The president refuses to address the issue.

The area is exact, between km21 and the border bridges in Laredo. Apart from this, extortions and carjackings continue. I know some people will say it hasn't happen to them, well, good luck.

Number Of Missing On Mexico's Highway Of Death Rise To 71
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
26 REPLIES 26

Talleyho69
I agree with you entirely.

Our history of traveling in Mexico is just like yours, same time frames too, except that we started in a tent in the early 80's and graduated to an RV in 1990. No motorcycle, sigh.

Let's try again to make this forum about RVing in Mexico. Moderator

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
" As every long-time follower of this forum knows, _____ is not an alarmist and strongly supports RVing in Mexico."

I've been in this forum since 2005 and could not disagree more. On issues of violence, the President, Covid there have been numerous occasions of alarmist comments from this individual. Reading comments like his tends to discourage rather than encourage visitors to Mexico. If I didn't know better I'd never dare return to Mexico.
I'm not attacking the individual but strongly arguing about themes to discourage travel in Mexico - which this forum has sadly become. I can't recall the last discussion on a campground, town, or beach - it's become a very pessimistic forum.
Many folks that used to participate in this forum have left. It's a shame.
My Mexico background: Travel Trailer trips from N.Laredo to Teacapan Sinaloa 1999-2009 (approximately 10 months in Mexico combined) 2013-2020 Motorcycle trips the length and breadth of Mexico. On a motorcycle we are very exposed rather than living in the gated community environment many Mexico RV parks offer. On these motorcycle trips my wife and I travel alone. My career featured lots of public contact and law enforcement and three academies. I'm no fool and can detect most dangerous conditions when those conditions arise. While on the motorcycle we are extremely vulnerable - there is no protection whatsoever. We have ridden tens of thousands of miles in Mexico on a motorcycle without incident. The biggest threat we face is traffic - it moves quickly.
All but one time we have always crossed at N.Laredo and driven/ridden the highway in question during the day and very early in the morning. All without incident.
Like most others I was initially scared of Mexico. We started taking baby steps across the border in the mid 1980's before the new peso. Even back then Mexico was considered to be very dangerous and it took progressively longer trips across the border before we realized that Mexico was nothing at all as it was said to be. Some people who enjoyed Mexico wanted to keep it for themselves and perpetuated the "Mexico is very dangerous, don't go" legend to keep the crowds away. The same thing is happening in this forum.
Life is not safe. In the United States it's no longer safe to drive a nice car in some cities. Mobs can pull a driver out, stomp the driver and steal the car. People are attacked, shot, and robbed so often these incidents don't even make the news.The same crimes happen in Europe - often knives, bombs, rocks, vehicles are used rather than guns. An elderly man in a wheelchair (Leon Klinghoffer) was shot and pushed off a cruise ship... in 1985.
Again, I repeat I am not in any way attacking the individual but am very much opposed to the mindset that has taken over this forum. We are going back on another motorcycle trip in Mexico in January 2022. And I hate to see Mexico's tourist capabilities continually portrayed as it is in this forum.

Talleyho69
Congratulations on the new home!!! We know you two have been wanting a place there.

We think of you often. Moderator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Mike134 wrote:
Only 71? More shootings than that on Chicago expressways.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/04/08/interstate-57-shooting-halsted-street/

Actually, in this administration, there have been a total of 89,000 homicides to date (Dec 2018 to date).

As for the 71, that number was corrected today. In a stretch of 26 km, a total of 157 people have disappeared including their cars and cell phone signals. This is since the beginning of the year.

Not sure what is to follow. The past (2008 to 2012) is rearing its ugly head here where I live. I won't give the details but if you've heard of it, it's happening again.

Abrazos, no balazos (hugs not bullets).

We did take a car trip up to the mountains from the house. 45 minutes to 6500 feet hoping the road was good enough to take the rv. Still not recovered since the last hurricane. It's so frickin' hot now, 40C today, we just have to wait. But we're ready to get back on the road here in Mexico, although I would love to do Hwy 90 through west Texas in the winter.

We just bought a second home in San Miguel de Allende. That will make for a great summer escape in the future.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Only 71? More shootings than that on Chicago expressways.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/04/08/interstate-57-shooting-halsted-street/
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A belated thanks to Chris for raising this issue. As every long-time follower of this forum knows, Chris is not an alarmist and strongly supports RVing in Mexico.

So when he raises a red flag about a specific area to avoid (whether in an RV or a passenger car), I give his opinion a lot of weight.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Navigator wrote:
How many of you Mexico travelers were traversing the road between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo sixty plus years ago?

Holy moly! 60 years ago ? The last time I used that exact stretch was ~26 years ago LOL

....hmmm? Being a spatial analyst (now retired), what about an online map highlighting proven recent bad experiences feeding specific point-to-point polylines (depicting roads) ? Stretches can blink on, then off, as the situation changes for the better (or worse) ?

Have to check the liability (risk) of doing this.....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
How many of you Mexico travelers were traversing the road between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo sixty plus years ago?

Back then the stretch between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo was known as a very dangerous road, specially from Monclova to Nuevo Laredo or the reverse this news is not new, it has been known for a long time.

When I had vacation from school I would accompany my dad to Nuevo Laredo to receive equipment from the U.S.A. for the telephone company and follow the 18 wheeler's convoy accompanied by the military from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey a two lane road no toll road, back then there were no "narcos" and the "bandidos" did not engage the military .

The other place that you avoided was the State of Guerrero and the only more or less safe road to Acapulco was from Cuernavaca to Chilpancingo and then to Acapulco from there you went along the coast to Zihuatanejo.

One did not go camping in the sierras or anywhere else in Guerrero the bad part on this road was between Cuernavaca and Chilpancingo other wise known as "El Caรฑon del Zopilote" (the vultures canyon) that is were most of the "asaltos" took place at night.

Today the whole country has gone to ruin because of the drug use, the narcos and the corrupt----- "GOVERNMENTS!"

navegator

It is sad that the roads you mention as being dangerous 60 years ago are still dangerous. Areas that were problems then are still problems today.

The only thing different is US media coverage occasionally tell a story about Mexico. Then the gringos go "mira, mira,mira!!!!!

The more Mexico changes the more it stays the same

navegator
Explorer
Explorer

Back then the stretch between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo was known as a very dangerous road, specially from Monclova to Nuevo Laredo or the reverse this news is not new, it has been known for a long time.

When I had vacation from school I would accompany my dad to Nuevo Laredo to receive equipment from the U.S.A. for the telephone company and follow the 18 wheeler's convoy accompanied by the military from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey a two lane road no toll road, back then there were no "narcos" and the "bandidos" did not engage the military .

The other place that you avoided was the State of Guerrero and the only more or less safe road to Acapulco was from Cuernavaca to Chilpancingo and then to Acapulco from there you went along the coast to Zihuatanejo.

One did not go camping in the sierras or anywhere else in Guerrero the bad part on this road was between Cuernavaca and Chilpancingo other wise known as "El Caรฑon del Zopilote" (the vultures canyon) that is were most of the "asaltos" took place at night.

Today the whole country has gone to ruin because of the drug use, the narcos and the corrupt----- "GOVERNMENTS!"

navegator

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 1965 my friends and I drove my dodge dart all the way from central Texas to Acapulco with only one minor incident in Monterrey where I had to buy back my hubcaps. Also 4 flat tires on the two way trip. The Acapulco Hilton and the beaches were great fun.

I exercise common sense and now avoid all large cities in the USA and therefore

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been saying this has been happening inMexico for years! Now people on this forum seem to have changed their opinion on Mexico travel. Donโ€™t get me wrong I love Mexico and canโ€™t wait to go back, but this kind of trouble has been going on for years. The biggest problem was that it was never broadcast over the media. Only when a tourist is involved did the news spread, but the crime on paisanos was seldom reported. So it didnโ€™t seem so bad. Call me unlucky but I have been close to shootings, killings and amongst cartel members, so many instances , canโ€™t remember them all. I should say call me lucky because we never got more than a few scares.
IMHO the biggest threat for us tourist is getting from A to B and back, once at location much safer.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

Talleyho69
Only 10% of Mexico is a no go zone. For traveling the rest of Mexico, be careful, be alert and stay aware of your surroundings.

This particular comment has always been true about traveling in Mexico and MOST countries!!!

We were warned when we first started traveling here in the 1980's that we were to avoid Michoacan and Cuilican, and to beware of vados on the Baja, because there could/would be bad guys there to shake us down.

Nothing bad has happened to us, but we have had some extremely interesting things occur.

Once again, USE COMMON SENSE! If someone who lives and travels here shares that there is a problem in an area, and the reports support that, listen to them!!!

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Chris lives in Mexico and is commenting on an area he lives in. I PAY ATTENTION TO HIM.

Moishe lives in Canada.

3 weeks ago, I drove a car from Playa del Carmen to Ciudad Acuna on my way to LA. I am in the middle of a road trip that has taken me up 15D from GDL to Vegas and then up to Idaho. I have made several trips into Michoacan this year where I bought my new diesel pickup. I have driven to Zihua a couple of times (where I shared a meal with TalleyHo and spouse) and I live in Jalisco.

Zero RV'ers? Maybe zero Canadian RV'ers. Roca Azul ran a couple of caravans this year. I have seen some European groups when on the road. There was a Mexican caravan running around the Veracruz mountains last month.

Only 10% of Mexico is a no go zone. For traveling the rest of Mexico, be careful, be alert and stay aware of your surroundings.

Come on down and enjoy all that Mexico offers (if our governments allow you to travel).

northsloper
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled between Mazatlan and Tucson a 1/2 dozen times from March to June this year in both our car and Class A RV. Pretty much the same as it has been for years. The exceptions are more fuel stops available & Sonoran state tolls mostly closed. 15D is in pretty good shape Heading back to our place on Isla de la Piedra in October