cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's been fun

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We tried to make it possible for Ruthie to be able to use the TC and it's just not happening. With her back the overhead bed is just to hard for her to get in and out of. So yesterday we bought a small class A and we're most likely going to end up selling the TC and Red.

It's been a blast being part of the TC sector.....see ya down the road.

the new digs....if ya see us drop by, cause we're going on some adventures now, since she's retired now.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
19 REPLIES 19

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:

almost looks like a camping site at the KOA in Outerbanks of NC. The fire rings really are almost that close, and guaranteed your neighbor will start a fire in it.

Enjoy the MH we did the same thing but stayed small.

HAHAHAHA, that pic is on the dealers lot, and that "fire ring" is a power outlet so they can plug RV's in. They always have 5 or 6 for sale.

This one is 30' I couldn't imagine going much smaller. Anything smaller we've seen lacks closet space, and it had REALLY LOW mileage.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:

almost looks like a camping site at the KOA in Outerbanks of NC. The fire rings really are almost that close, and guaranteed your neighbor will start a fire in it.

Enjoy the MH we did the same thing but stayed small.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
mountainkowboy wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Hope to have paths cross sometime. Perhaps Arizona this winter... Best wishes to you...

We will probably hit Quartzite this year again.

I'm looking at going. If the Truck Camper Meet and desert trail run is on this year, I'd like to hook up with them. Couldn't make it last year.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hope to have paths cross sometime. Perhaps Arizona this winter... Best wishes to you...

We will probably hit Quartzite this year again.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For escape hatch check Walmart.
The selection wary and right now I can only find complete assemble, but few years back they had cover only for $50, that fit my Lance
Walmart link

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
the blown out cracked into 5 pieces escape hatch currently unable to locate parts so going to put a couple layers fiberglass over it..

Been there done exactly that. It works great, ends up stronger and more durable than a new plastic hatch cover.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I too shall be joining the ranks of the retired in a month or so. I'm keeping the 4x4 F250 and 9.5 S&S. Aside from replacing the head gaskets 3 times before figuring out there was a machining error at the front right of the block causing water jacket failure within 3 months of replacement, a new starter, rebuilding the AC system, rebuilding the front steering, Rear Springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, 2 alternators, power steering pump, muffler which is needed again and finally a new engine, it's been a faithful truck. I won't bother mentioning the front right jack area frame rot fixed, or the rear right frame rot still to be fixed, and certainly not the Amish replacement fridge or the blown out cracked into 5 pieces escape hatch currently unable to locate parts so going to put a couple layers fiberglass over it. But I still love it... Hope to have paths cross sometime. Perhaps Arizona this winter... Best wishes to you...

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Made it home.......not bad, 7 mpg @ 24,500 scaled with the Ranger on a car trailer.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a set of triple dual (or dual triple) chains. You can go anywhere, you should want to take such a rig. Practice putting them on and off in the driveway. Get chain pliers, hammer, 3 or 4 spare cross chains, with a hand full of cold shuts. All in the right sizes. Special note, they can tear up paved driveways.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations on the next chapter.

As long as you put good tires on it, I think it will do ok in most weather that you should be traveling in. Sure, you might have chain up for best traction, but you also can wait that out.

Fwiw, we had no issues with our 32 ft Class A on a Feb ski trip to BC. I also knew a lot of people that regularly took theirs to the passes in WA for the weekend to ski. My older friends drove all over CA, NV in Winter in their 30 ft one. They are very heavy.

My suggestion is put some 3 Peak tires on it if you are at all worried about traction in Winter. A Banks Power pack if it doesnโ€™t have one will help a bunch if it is gasoline.

Have fun.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Converting such vehicle to 4x4 is not only extremely difficult due to electronic controls, but also not much useable as you will hang on the rear hitch before RWD will loose the traction.
Only advantage would be on ice, but I doubt you want to drive ClassA on ice.
With 7500lb trailer you can load 4x4 of your choice.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I'll be around. It's a 30 footer, big enough to fulltime comfortably, but small enough to get in places.

Since it's technically built of an F550 chassis, we've been exploring doing a 4x4 conversion. It has a 3,400lb cargo carry capacity wet! Going to get a 7,500lb hitch put on so I can tow the toys like we did with Red and the TC.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
...and Kenny (LOL.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I parted my camper and sold the truck a year ago, but I am here to tease Jim.
Happy traveling in ClassA.
I moved to ClassB Sprinter.