cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i generator amps surging up and down

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm dry camping in Wyoming for the past 9 days been running on solar with no problems.
Rain today batteries down to 78% so started up the generator.

Solar is turned off to the coach solar charge controller going to batteries.

Converter turned on and I notice generator surging slighly in eco mode. The battery monitor shows the charging amps starting at 30amp then drop one amp at a time till it gets to 0 then back to 30amps and over and over.

If I unplug from the generator no engine surging but cant check generator load..

Trying to figure is this a generator problem or a converter problem?

I have to get the batteries charged so I let it run amps surging or not.
Made sure not to run any appliances during this.

After about an hour the it all started working as it's supposed to like nothing was ever wrong.

Any thoughts?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
39 REPLIES 39

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Well now it just might be that the WFCO is thermalling out and shuts down the charge, cools off and starts charging again....

PROBLEM: Converter keeps shutting down.

SOLUTION: Ensure proper ventilation and check for obstructions regarding the cooling fan. WFCO converters are over temperature protected and will shut down.

FACT: Voltage will be present on both sides of the DC fuse terminals due to the LED circuit.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/common-power-products-misconceptions-issues/

I have had my 9260 PD... for over 10 years and it has had lots of use... I installed it into my Magnetic converter cabinet years ago. I only ran two FWC batteries and switched to 1 100ah Lifeline AGM a long time ago.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting factoid. When I drew the batts down to 73% and plugged in the converter started to cycle. I left it unplugged and checked it again a few times and it still was cycling.

I decided to leave it plugged in for a while even though it is cycling it's still charging a little at a time. I checked it an hour later and the batts now up to 83% and the converter was charging as it should and no longer cycling.

Maybe it's when the converter is charging at it's highest rate of charge is when the problem occurs?

Regardless I think I will be going with the Progressive Dynamics 9260c.

Now I just have to figure where I'm going to get it.from.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If I remember correctly, the Victron monitor does do a Peurkert calculation.

It does
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no load except for the charging it's self.

Im ready to throw a new converter at it just to see if it works.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the converter is bad. Many converters will have their output voltage sag a little bit under heavy load; they aren't perfectly regulated voltage sources, as that's not in the least bit required for this application.

The real question is whether the load is cycling for some reason, causing the converter's output to also vary, or whether the load is constant but the converter's output is varying undesirably. Neither one has been proven at all conclusively, from what I've seen, but it kind of seems to me like a varying load and a reasonably functioning converter.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bigfootford wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
1L243,

DO NOT BUY WFCO

Ditto that!

Jim

Idk what this thread is even about, but can confirm the above
The wfco in our 2017 model camper is a glorious piece of ______.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
1L243 wrote:
Checked at power distribution panel and the voltage is going up and down a few 10ths of a volt as the converter cycles up and down. Plus the fan goes on and off as the cycle starts at high amps and then goes off as it gets to low amps. Over and over and over

I see Go Power makes a converter smart charger that will fit in the same place as the WFCO charger.

Any reocomendations?

Well that pretty much confirms the issue.... Bad converter.

Many of us recommend the Progressive Dynamics series of converters.

If you have questions you can call them. Randy is the owner and he knows about installing and recommendations.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Progressive-Dynamics-Converters_c_81.html

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Checked at power distribution panel and the voltage is going up and down a few 10ths of a volt as the converter cycles up and down. Plus the fan goes on and off as the cycle starts at high amps and then goes off as it gets to low amps. Over and over and over

I see Go Power makes a converter smart charger that will fit in the same place as the WFCO charger.

Any reocomendations?

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
You need to check the voltage at the converter or power distribution doing the same thing.

That is the only way to really know if the converter is doing it or it is a resetable breaker somewhere in the path to the batteries.

Jim

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
1L243,

DO NOT BUY WFCO

Ditto that!

Jim

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
1L243,

DO NOT BUY WFCO
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lowered the batteries to 73%. Then I let them rest for an hour and plugged into 110. And the cycling returned. I let it sit for 3 hours just in case there was a heat issue and still cycling.

I tested the battery voltage at the batteries at the same time the battery monitor shows cycling between 44 to .02 amps and the batteries go up and down a few 10ths of a volt at the same time as the cycling?? Clue??

I think my only choice at this point is to replace the Converter with a new one.

Should I go with a direct WFCO 8955 replacement or should I go with a after market?

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
1L243 wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
Sure sounds like you have a restable breaker that is sometimes installed on rv's/campers. It is on the line from the Converter to the batteries. Your converter is putting out enough amps to trip the breaker..
Your solar for most installs bypasses that breaker, depends on how it was installed.

Jim

I replaced all the re settable breakers with manual ones a few months ago.

All is still working as it should. Im going to drain the system down to 80% again to make sure all is still good.

When you do this, using a dvm measure the voltage on the battery as the surge occurs.
If you see the voltage climb then drop there is the clue.

Jim

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigfootford wrote:
Sure sounds like you have a restable breaker that is sometimes installed on rv's/campers. It is on the line from the Converter to the batteries. Your converter is putting out enough amps to trip the breaker..
Your solar for most installs bypasses that breaker, depends on how it was installed.

Jim

I replaced all the re settable breakers with manual ones a few months ago.

All is still working as it should. Im going to drain the system down to 80% again to make sure all is still good.