Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Battery size question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery size question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I made the mistake a few years ago of purchasing the biggest batteries that I could fit into the provided box on my 5th wheel, but the spacing is so tight that it was a major pain in the arse to remove them for winter storage. The worst part of the decision is that I didn't even need the extra power that the batteries provided. Live and learn.

OK, so now I'm ready to replace the batteries, and I want to do it right. Since I'm already set up to run 2 batteries in parallel, I'll probably just go that route with (2) 24M Group Batteries. I think they're only 2" shorter in length, but that's exactly what I need to get them in/out more easily.

Is there anything else I should consider that I might be missing? Lastly, what's a good middle of the road battery brand? I've always used Interstate batteries, but the nearest dealer is too far away from me now.

Thanks.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't your interstate batteries come with a strap to lift up with? I like Interstate brand, but if hard to get, or not a fresh date, I would try Walmart or similar. Their batteries are usually dated, showing recent delivery. If a problem arises, there is a Walmart most everywhere.

Jerry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Fully charge them, disconnect them, no need to remove them from the RV.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You live in the PNW, why not camp all year long? Install a direct disconnect switch on the negative wire of the batteries. Fully disconnected in the PNW the will hold a charge for a couple months.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had our dealer install a battery disconnect switch, but it doesn't completely disconnect them. Darn things still drain some. Not sure what the problem is, and my dealer is 2 hours away.

In the Fall, I tailgate for football games and store my RV off site. It would be ideal if I could disconnect the batteries completely to preserve them. Sometimes we got 3-4 weeks between games, so they just sit.

For now though, I just need some moderately priced 12v deep cycle batteries. We don't use a lot of power, as a generator is used during the game weekends, and during the Spring/Summer camping season, we typically have hookups. A couple of deep cycle 24/27 batteries is more than enough.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many batteries are make offshore like Interstate in Mexico. Go to Duval or Monroe and buy what fits.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

I had our dealer install a battery disconnect switch, but it doesn't completely disconnect them. Darn things still drain some. Not sure what the problem is, and my dealer is 2 hours away.
Typical RV mfg disconnect switches do not turn off loads like smoke detectors etc. Who knows what a dealer might do.

I installed full disconnect switches on the negative battery post on both banks and there are no battery drains.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

In the Fall, I tailgate for football games and store my RV off site. It would be ideal if I could disconnect the batteries completely to preserve them. Sometimes we got 3-4 weeks between games, so they just sit.

For now though, I just need some moderately priced 12v deep cycle batteries. We don't use a lot of power, as a generator is used during the game weekends, and during the Spring/Summer camping season, we typically have hookups. A couple of deep cycle 24/27 batteries is more than enough.

Well we have a pair of Interstate SRM27 batteries and only had a single before SRM27 before and it would run our furnace overnight, but just barely. With two in parallel we still have plenty of juice in the morning.

If nothing else have a mobile service come out and install your disconnect so it totally disconnects the batteries.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't need the power 2 - 24M is reasonable. 2 will only provide about 130 Ah. Two 6V golf cart batteries will provide about 220 Ah and might even cost less.

Nothing wrong withe Interstate (Costco) or Duracell (Sam's Club).

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on where the shut off is installed. I installed mine on the positive just a few inches from the battery. That's before a junction/terminal for anything else

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery size question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.