cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric brakes issue

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
When I plugged the power cable from my camper to my truck yesterday, I got a message on my dash that said check trailer wiring. I tested the brakes and indeed they were not working. I blew out both ends of the plug really well with my air compressor, plugged it back in, and then everything worked fine. We did have a little rain earlier in the day. This has happened a few times now. Is there anything more permanent I can do to ensure a good connection so I don't have to rely on the air compressor? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
Simply solution, I put a 5 gallon bucket over my trailer jack.

Me too. Best $5 you can spend on your trailer!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply solution, I put a 5 gallon bucket over my trailer jack. It keeps water out of my jack (especially important in the winter when water gets in and freezes, then you blow a fuse trying to retract the jack) and UV light off the plastic. I hang the 7 pin cord from the bucket handle, so its covered by the bucket. I then attach my safety chains to the handle to keep it weighted down in the wind.

Kills several birds with one stone. But I agree with other advice; clean your pins and put di-electric grease to help keep water out and corrosion down.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nother case of the disappearing author.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just hang mine so the open end points down. Water can stack up in a cup, but will not run up hill if it is not forced. Di-Electric grease solves the issue of humidity.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
I tried this and it wrecked my 7 pin plug, on two trailers

:R

Video is 4 minutes too long to show the issue.

The "failure" isn't from the cover.

The "failure" came from the fact that the plug was left dangling upside down with that cover on. In a nutshell "user error".

Here is a snap shot of the video as to why the user used it incorrectly..

Anyone with any smarts would realize that a "cover" or cap like this will allow water to seep past the sides and fill up the cap, it can't provide a 100% water tight seal. Even if it did provide a water tight seal, it would only be good for 100% molded plugs (not all trailers are equipped with molded plugs).

A "cap" on anything sits at the highest point to allow water, liquids, moisture to roll (shed off) down the sides.

Think of it like putting a hat on your head to shed the rain..

That device to be properly used needs the plug to be stored in a UPRIGHT position (the opposite direction of what is in the snapshot above), not left dangling to the ground.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I tried this and it wrecked my 7 pin plug, on two trailers
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the female part of the 7 pin connector and mounted it on top of my A-frame and plug it in there when not using, keep the pins in the receiver dielectricized to keep water out. Lot better than hanging it in the mud. Doesn't oxidize either. Always seemed to migrate down that far before mounting a receiver on the tongue.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
plasticmaster wrote:
Is there anything more permanent I can do to ensure a good connection so I don't have to rely on the air compressor? Thanks.

Yes, when not in use or towing just tuck the connector back under the propane tanks on the tongue making sure the cable has a little droop and the plug is above that droop.

The propane tanks create a natural shelter from the rain and the droop in the wire creates a drip loop that stops water from following the wire to the connector end.

No greases, no air compressor, cleaners ever needed if you simply shelter the plug.

You still do need to periodically check and clean any corrosion on the connector since they are typically brass and brass naturally oxidizes from moisture in the air (the oxidation creates a nonconductive layer on the surface). For oxidization, I fold some sand paper a few times then insert it into the connector to shine up the brass.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
This cleaner or something similar.

X2

X3, detox is good stuff.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Plugs "wear out." I replaced mine and no further issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your trailer plug in a Plug-Guard when not in use. Plug in and out several times when hooking up to wipe the contacts. Using the spray mentioned above is worthwhile.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I see this often here on RV.net, but Dielectric grease is used for sealing, protecting and electrical insulating. Improves electrical performance by reducing arcing, voltage drop and other conditions. This will help keep out water and other contaminates.
But it does not clean or lubricate your plugs, the cleaner mentioned earlier is what should be used first to make better contact.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:
This cleaner or something similar.

X2

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a small flat blade screw driver and on the trailer plug side, carefully pry the blades open a bit more so they will have a tighter fit on the trucks plug.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.