Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban 10 Gallon Hot water heater

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban 10 Gallon Hot water heater.
17 years old can not get anode rod back in thread looks rusted and I may have stripd it. Have been changing this thing for 15 years without a problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.I have attempted to put a new rod in and also tried to replace it with a brass plug with no success. Tried to get a die to clean up threads but everyone in this area looks at me with a weary face,no luck.

Thanks in advance,r0nโ€ฆ...
10 REPLIES 10

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased this on Amazon 3/4"-14 NPT Pipe Tap,American Standard Tap Tool. Cleaned up the threads now Anode rod in and happy!

Tanks for all the suggestions, r0n....

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't get too carried away. ๐Ÿ™‚ You just want to clean up the threads that are there, and not cut too many new threads. Get a good piece of 3/4" pipe and check your progress frequently. Use a 12 point socket that the tap will fit into, and a ratchet. That way you can use an extension to make it easier to wield the tap.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Tractor supply in Taunton has 3/4 npt taps in stock for $10.99. SKU: 118040799

Thanks, Never did check there. I ordered one from Amazon will be hear on Saturday. Hope I can use all the great info that has been posted.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor supply in Taunton has 3/4 npt taps in stock for $10.99. SKU: 118040799

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the starter threads on your water heater are rolled over. Get a 3/4" NPT tap to chase the female threads on the unit. Dies are used for threading the male fittings and pipe.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope, that won't work like a tap. It will work like a pipe cut up. Bite the bullet and get the proper tool for the job. I actually tried the cut up pipe once, just to see how it worked. Short story, it didn't.

On Edit: changed "die" to "tap". I know the difference but overlooked it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Poor mans thread chaser. Been awhile since Iโ€™ve done that!
OP, so are the threads gone like it is actually stripped or do you mean cross threaded?
Guessing stripped since itโ€™s old and corroded.
Nice thing about pipe thread is it gets tighter the further into the thread. So after cleaning it up, a good dose of pipe dope or better yet a few extra wraps of ptfe tape and crank the new anode in.
Or like my plumber buddy does, use both!
Permanently, install a heli coil.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Do what bob213 suggested but first take a hacksaw or something similar and make two cuts in a X pattern across and perpendicular to the threads. Make the cuts maybe a half inch deep or so. This should work like a die. Go slow and reverse the threading periodically and clean the threads of the loose metal.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
3/4" NPT isn't hard to find online. That's what you'll need to clean up the threads. McMaster Carr or Fastenal will have them too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think those are 3/4" threads. Get a length of pipe and try to chase it with the threaded end. No need for a die hopefully. Brass brush helps clean up the threads as well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand