cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Class A vs Large Class C

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We started RVing with a 34-foot Sea Breeze gasser in 2004, then upgraded to a 40-foot Newmar Class A DP in 2010 but sold it this year because it was just too big. We still want an RV, but this time around we thought we'd look at used, smaller Class Cs.

However, we wanted a rear island bed which is almost all cases we've found means 30 feet & greater. BTW, our budget is only about $35k and while RVs in that price range are few and few between, we've found that they are out there.

Anyway, after looking at a number of Class Cs that we initially liked, we're finding them sorely lacking when we compare them to similar sized Class As.

For example, I found a 32-foot Class A that had an island bedroom, 2 ACs (rare in Class Cs), levelers (also rare in Class Cs), and plenty of storage & carrying capacity.

Am I missing something?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
23 REPLIES 23

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Have never driven a Class A MH but believe Class C is safer in head on collision, like shade of Class C overhead, prefer 27/28 foot class C for ease of maneuvering. Don't like huge windshield and heat from sun. Biggest benefit of medium sized Class C is usefulness as hobby, sport and local event support vehicle in addition to touring and camping. We take our 27 foot C to local parks for the day with our dogs, to theme parks, airshows and for kid sports as a support vehicle with rest room privileges. A larger C or A would be out of place in many situations.

Correction, I did drive some Class A's while looking at motorhomes, didn't like the huge picture windshield and sun glare, learned about front end construction and finding services for Class A's in the hinterland subsequently.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Which A did you get? Diesel? Solar?

Hoping to wrap up the PDI tomorrow. More info after that.

2001 National RV Sea View

31', 2 slides, 2 ACs (so 50A), 1 owner who kept it garaged, 20,500 GVWR with 3500 lbs of CCC, and levelers.

One Happy Camper here
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Hoping to wrap up the PDI tomorrow. More info after that.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So you know what one excels at or doesn’t compared to the other.
The biggest consideration aside from checking the boxes is the condition vs price in your budget range.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Techwriter,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to go with an older 31’ Class A — 2 slides, levelers, 2 ACs (so 50A), generator, plenty of storage, 5k hitch, and 3500 lbs of CCC.

All for the less than most of the Class Cs I looked at.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
^^^ I think it depends on your definition of "small motorhome". The smallest motorhome referenced here is almost 32 feet, which might not be big for an A, it's not exactly small either. 32 feet is among the biggest of the E450/GM 4500 series based Cs, but from these figures, the 32' A is a much more heavy duty chassis. When I think of a small motorhome I think of a C that is 24' feet or less and an A that is under 28'.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

What's difficult today is to find a small Class C that is built on a chassis that is specified for carrying way more weight in day-in day-out use than is required under normal circumstances. IAW, an overkill chassis under a smal motorhome is not easy to find new, should you desire one. 😉

OP here . . .

I'm not sure if you meant that newer small motorhomes don't have overkill chassis or . . .

Regardless, I said in my original post that my $35k budget doesn't allow for newer Class As or Cs.

So I'm forced to look at 2000ish models. While there are some 2000ish Class Cs that fit the bill, there seem to be many more 2000ish Class As. For example, if you're considering CCC (as I am), here are specs on two National RV Class A models . . .

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note in this link for typical late model Class C motorhomes, under WEIGHTS AND MEASUREMENTS for the E450 chassis, when offered for their motorhomes - Option (B) - that the Ford E450 chassis is specified for a CGWR of 22,000 lbs.:
https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/motorhomes/class-c/minnie-winnie?specifications=true

Even for my 2005 Ford E450 chassis, Ford spec'd it's GCWR at 20,000 lbs.. Of course CGWR refers to how much weight can be towed including the weight of the chassis doing the towing. It is not how much weight can be carried on the vehicle's structure.

As far as wheel diameters are concerned, it seems to me that assuming a steel (or better metal) wheel - one thing a larger diameter wheel/tire combination buys you is less per square inch tread rubber contacts per mile - which provides for longer tire tread life under heavy loads. If a 16 inch steel (or better metal) wheel/tire combination - at proper pressure - can carry the maximum weight for the vehicle's structure then, other than ground clearance or tread wear considerations, it should do as well as a larger diameter wheel/tire combination on any given vehicle.

I believe that a late model year E450 chassis is designed to carry a total of 14,500 lbs., including itself. So whatever fully loaded motorhome size can be used on that frame should be "OK". An equivalent size/loaded Class A may of course have more design margin if built on a chassis weight-rated higher than a 4XXX class.

What's difficult today is to find a small Class C that is built on a chassis that is specified for carrying way more weight in day-in day-out use than is required under normal circumstances. IAW, an overkill chassis under a smal motorhome is not easy to find new, should you desire one. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you should look under a F53 and look at the frame then we will talk I had both my 29 ft C Class had a extension added on about 5 foot. check out the mine has a 22,000 CGWR YOURS MAYBE 14,000 your 16 in rim compare to real truck tire rims 22.5
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
crawford wrote:
Class A has a real truck frame A C Class is a Van chassis which most have a welded extended frame with LT tire light truck tires 16 in pickup truck. That's why I now have a A class.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real truck frame". The last time I looked underneath my E450 based motorhome, those two big U frame members running from front qrille to the rear duallies looked pretty much like the same style U-frame members as are under dump trucks.

Most modern, small Class C motorhomes are indeed built on the unibody-type van chassis as is used in the Sprinter, and new small van offerings from Ram and Ford.

However, underneath the good old Ford E350/E450 and Chevy 3500/4500 chassis you will probably find a real truck frame. However, to keep any welded extended frame sections at a minimum length for maximum strength - one should look for a small Class C, even on these chassis.

IMHO, Class C motorhomes of lengths greater than around 30 ft. (and especially with slides included) should be built on a 5XX/5XXX series chassis with their non-extended "real truck frames". 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Class A has a real truck frame A C Class is a Van chassis which most have a welded extended frame with LT tire light truck tires 16 in pickup truck. That's why I now have a A class.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just prior to the covid explosion we had decided to go to a smaller rig. Well you know what happened there. We still plan on dropping down to hopefully a 27 or 28 foot model Class A. The C's were just not comfy for us for all the reasons listed here. We just wern't comfortable and I don't mind driving a C but really enjoy driving an A. That is the selling point.

What we really want is a 2021 or 2022 version of our 1990 Bounder 27D. No slides, twin beds and a split bath, tons of closet space. the DW would miss her two pantry slide out cabinets but would happily give that up. We kind of like bumping butts as we pass each other in the narrow aisle, so losing the slides is acceptable. That Bounder was a great RV for the two of us and even when we started taking the DGKs with us.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
As the saying goes, "to each his own". Guess that's why the RV manufacturers make so many different models in so many sizes. Having said that, we have been RVing for 35 years and have owned 7 motorhomes. We started with a 19' Winnebago LeSharo in 1986 - - and kept getting bigger, eventually owning a 39' Newmar Dutch Star DP while we were full timing.

Over time we decided that that MH was just too big and started to downsize, 1st going to a 34' Dolphin gasser. After we stopped full timing and built a home in an RV community we decided to downside again to a Class C. One requirement that we had was that the MH had to have a walk around queen bed in the rear. Our choice of a Jayco Greyhawk 27DS ended up being the perfect choice for us. This unit has tons of interior storage and lots of outside storage as well, including a pass thru compartment for storing longer items.

We have lived in this motorhome for as long as 6 months at a time and feel that we could full time in it if necessary. We seldom miss the panoramic front window of the previous Class A motorhomes and like the additional safety of having an actual front bumper and air bags in case of an accident. We have now owned this motorhome for 15 years and recently passed the 80,000 mile mark on the odometer. The Ford V-10 engine is "bullet proof" and all in all we couldn't be happier with the way that this motorhome has held up over time and mileage.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy