cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Piezo Igniter

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The stove cooktop burner igniter on our old Magic Chef stove was a know you turned and was very loud, I planned on replacing it with a BBQ style battery powered and therefore, virtually silent. Trouble was I couldn't find one to fit. Well the MC died and of course being 19 years old and no longer in business, no replacement parts. Got a Suburban Elite but with the same snap type piezo but with room enough to fit a 5 circuit CharBroil BBQ unit.

Used a 1/2" electrical KO punch to make the mounting hole fit. It uses one AA battery and it can be replaced by removing the pushbutton.

Now it won't wake the DW at 05:30 when I get up and need to heat water for coffee.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
8 REPLIES 8

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
My MC igniter also went bad. The igniter has manufacturer info branded on it. Took me a while to track it down, but ended up with the original and since my DW can sleep through an enemy bomb attack, I was back in business. Does your DW have something against you drinking coffee at 5:30? She should be happy you are home!

:B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The lighter works, but it's a pain, literally, to get down and light the oven pilot light every time. And trying to hold the stove knob in, while on your knees bent over seeing where the pilot light is, can be a trick. Especially when you're old. 🙂

We finally learned after seeing aa suggestion here, to leave the pilot light burning. It doesn't seem to use a detectable amount of propane. Give it a try.
Don't need to, have the igniter now. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The lighter works, but it's a pain, literally, to get down and light the oven pilot light every time. And trying to hold the stove knob in, while on your knees bent over seeing where the pilot light is, can be a trick. Especially when you're old. 🙂

We finally learned after seeing aa suggestion here, to leave the pilot light burning. It doesn't seem to use a detectable amount of propane. Give it a try.

We full time and DW loves to bake, and makes oven cooked dishes all the time. We light the pilot once and leave it on basically 24/7/365. Only off during travel.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Ijust use a hand held bar-b-q lighter. No batteries required.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good project, do you have a photo or two?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you also add the igniter to the oven pilot light too? We did on our Fuzion and it worked great.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"