cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best UTV for trails

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a new UTV and have been looking at the new 1000 Yamaha Rmax. The dealer also suggested the equivalent Kawasaki.

This will only be used on tight trails with lots of roots and rocks.

What's your opinion. I'm mainly looking at these machines because I'm friend with a dealer that carries these brands.
5 REPLIES 5

dedmiston
Shadow57 wrote:
My son has a CanAm 1000 4 seater he likes it, his wife hates it.

A friend of mine loves his CanAm x3, and his wife couldn't stand it. He and I talked for a while and I figured out his problem. His wife loves it now since he let 5 pounds of air out of his tires.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kawasaki Teryx it's a 2 seater with a dump bed. I really like it for trails and using around the farm. I have owned it since 2014, it's been a great little machine. My husband had a CanAm 1000, I hated it, (couldn't see out and scary fast) he sold it. My son has a CanAm 1000 4 seater he likes it, his wife hates it. I would think a Teryx would be easier to haul, not as wide as other models. IMO the CanAm's feel like they might rear up, and I ride horses so I know that feeling.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
My parents have a 2020 Trail RZR 900 with the Ride Command. That Ride Command is pretty sweet. The suspension is as good if not better than their 2015 RZR 1000XP.

personally, I'm a Honda fan but they seem like dinosaur units compared to what's out there now, and the aftermarket accessories is not as good.

If I were looking for a trail machine today I would go with either a Polaris RZR 900 or the Can-Am Maverick Trail.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/models/side-by-side-vehicles/maverick-trail.html

This trail model is 50” wide, same as an ATV. We have a few forest service trails in our area that are width restricted.

Mine is a Maverick Sport Max (4 seater), and is 60” wide. I’ve been happy with it.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never owned a UTV, but lots of experience with Hon/Yam/Kaw. IMO, the Yam is the better choice, just going by quality of build, fit/finish/electronics reliability. In my experience, with 30 plus rice burners, Hon/Yam, best quality, then Kaw, with Suz bringing up the rear.

I did feel my KDX200 liquids were a solid performer, and would outrun the others mentioned above.

I know we are all getting older, but unless slow moving, sight seeing, tight trails described, mean 2 wheels, rather than 4!

Jerry