cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vin vs door sticker

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Punched in the VIN of a truck I’m looking at. It lists the GVWR as 11,400 However the door sticker says GVWR 12,300.
Any ideas? It’s a Ram 3500 mega cab
PICS
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
(With a smidge of there are many different gvwrs assigned to trucks that are physically the same and have different gvws mostly for regulatory considerations)

What are you going to believe, the door sticker or the Internet? Seems in your earlier reply you were implying that the door sticker is authoritative. Now you're pushing an Internet opinion.

Nope, I'm saying the "same" trucks can and do get assigned different gvwrs. Reflected on the vin, as well as mfgs towing guides or other informational documents.

My initial comment, based on mfgs towing guides is typically the gassers show a lower gvwr, to account for the lighter front end, which typically doesn't change alot on the front axle weight, to keep the available "payload" accurate with whatever criteria is used to determine the payload and knowing that "most" payload is in the med and primarily borne by the rear axle.

Yet even trucks with the same engine (diesel or gas is the big weight difference between similarly equipped trucks) also get assigned different gvwrs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ajriding wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

I totally don't understand what you wrote.

He got confused too.

I'm not confused in the least. At the end of the day, the weight watchers and those who are unfamiliar with trucks would still be well served to go off the door sticker.
I cannot discount that there are not any "incorrect" VINs out there, but in 100s or 1000s of trucks, I've yet to see a wrong one (aka, truck won't register due to a vin issue).
But at the end of the day, speaking for the trucks that we are speaking about, HD pickups, class 3 srw specifically, if you stay within whatever factory tire load ratings you have, you won't be fundamentally overloaded.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
(With a smidge of there are many different gvwrs assigned to trucks that are physically the same and have different gvws mostly for regulatory considerations)

What are you going to believe, the door sticker or the Internet? Seems in your earlier reply you were implying that the door sticker is authoritative. Now you're pushing an Internet opinion.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
VINs can be iffy. While shopping for a used truck I checked every vin for trucks I was looking at. Most were accurate but others had variations for some features.
I ended up getting a truck that had a totally wrong vin, same truck but different model than the vin said, so I got it cheap bc it would not sell, $4,000 cheaper. It was advertised as what the vin said, then people came to buy and discovered it was not even close to what they were looking for. Sometimes the customer wins at the dealership.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerryleejr wrote:
Punched in the VIN of a truck I’m looking at. It lists the GVWR as 11,400 However the door sticker says GVWR 12,300.
Any ideas? It’s a Ram 3500 mega cab
PICS
2014-2018 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 SRW CC SB trucks typically had a GVWR of ~11,700 lbs. Megacab (available in SB only) and CC LB (3500 diesel 4x4 SRW) trucks, 12,300-12,400 lbs. Gas 6.4 versions were typically 900-1000 lower at ~10,800 lbs. and 11,300-11,400 lbs., respectively. I believe the 2019+ Rams have similar GVWR's.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Truck weights have changed significantly over the past several years and the VIN format has not been updated to account for it. A 150/1500 pickup will now weigh 12,300lbs, but the VIN format still only accounts for a max gvwr of 11,400lbs for a 150/1500 model.
)

He got confused too.
Passenger trucks do not weight anywhere near 12,000lbs. That is the maximum that the truck can weigh counting the truck weight (6,000-7,000lbs) plus all the cargo and passengers and everything. Think of it as how much weight the tires will have on them.

600lbs either way is not going to be a big deal.
So, the weight number you see is NOT the weight of the truck. This is the gross weight the truck is rated to be with stuff loaded into it. Subtract the truck weight from the number and you get your cargo weight rating.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ It's a 2021 based on the pic in the first post.
This is just a mixup between the gvwr assigned to a gasser and that assigned to a diesel.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
What year is your megacab. The GVW changed on them depending on the year and of course SRW or DRW.
Older ones have a lower GVW.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is just another comical gvw thread.
You’re implying that the door sticker is wrong and the internet is right?
Well if the internet is right, Ram’s towing guide lists 3500srw Mega gassers with a 11,400gvw and the same truck but diesel with a 12,300gvw.
Just sayin….

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I google news around 5:30-6 am every morning. Several days back I read where some vehicles had the wrong door tag gvwr assigned and advise was to check with the vehicle mfg/dealer for them to issue the correct sticker.
I would say the vin is correct.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Just input the vin into this and see what it shows.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:

Truck weights have changed significantly over the past several years and the VIN format has not been updated to account for it. A 150/1500 pickup will now weigh 12,300lbs, but the VIN format still only accounts for a max gvwr of 11,400lbs for a 150/1500 model.

So the manufacturers (Dodge is the most common for "overweight" pickups)

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
My guess is Ram adds heavier springs and shocks on the front end to compensate for the added weight of the diesel. So the heavier GVWR would be correct.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is RAM has a problem with the computer software that prints the door sticker or the wrong one was put on at the factory. The VIN should include all options. That’s one of the points of it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member