cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck tech

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Since my last truck was a bare bones 08 dodge dually, seems there’s all kinds of gadgets and gizmos available now. My question is how much is useful and usable with a TC mounted? For example when I tow with my Toyota I have to turn the parking sensors off or they will constantly beep because of the trailer. So Ram offers all these towing cameras and sensors as well as digital rear view mirror etc. How much can actually still be used? And what is rendered useless and not needed?

JJ
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I custom order my F350 after we sold the house and lived in the camper.
3 months wait at the time was not good, but having the truck that fit your needs like a glove was very good reward.
Fact that shopping in 100 miles radius, I found a dealer who custom build the truck with $5000 discount below MSRP.

So your saying, back in 2016-2017 when you ordered your truck, you got $5k off MSRP and you think that was a deal? When the average diesel truck could be had for around $10k off sticker without much searching or haggling?

I guess there's a reason they put MSRP stickers on them. Some people will pay more without question.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gbsteph
Explorer
Explorer
I do have to turn off my parking sensors especially rear or they beep a lot. The rear camera option is actually useful if you do what I did. Which was, buy a replacement tailgate camera…OEM or aftermarket, and an aftermarket mounting bracket which I attached high power magnets to. When I take my tailgate off, I plug the external cam into the factory connection and attach it via magnets above the rear bumper. When I load my camper, I left enough wire to run the cam to the back of the camper attached to a steel plate I mounted to the back of the camper. It plays perfectly through the dash screen, and even the surround feature gives a decent view provided you remember things are longer than they appear. I can look up the parts I purchased for this if you are interested and PM them to you

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I custom order my F350 after we sold the house and lived in the camper.
3 months wait at the time was not good, but having the truck that fit your needs like a glove was very good reward.
Fact that shopping in 100 miles radius, I found a dealer who custom build the truck with $5000 discount below MSRP.
Additionally not having 4WD (the only available at dealer's lots) saved me thousands in additional fuel cost, while 3" height difference made using much easier.
The only option I wanted and could not get with SuperCab was King Ranch trim. For some reason that would go only with CC.
But Lariat with with 2-tone pearl white was looking great.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerryleejr wrote:

It’s not a silly post for someone that’s never had a TC and decided to order all the towing bells and whistles offered to find out half of them won’t work once the TC is loaded,,,

JJ

You might want to reconsider placing an order. In addition to a substantial delay it is highly likely that you will pay a lot more. When we bought, there was a $1500 Ram incentive. The truck we looked at had a high level of trim/accessories. I told the sales manager I was not interest because there were $4k in accessories I did not want. He reduced the price $4k and we immediately bought the truck. As I said many of those accessories are really nice including memory adjustments, heated/cooled leather seats, and the electronics.

Even if you order a custom built truck, you will find that you cannot pick and choose each individual accessory. They come in trim packages. Mostly you will just be ordering specific colors.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I transferred tailgate camera onto camper and it work good, although "fish eye" picture is not for everybody.
Blind spot radars did not work with my 12' camper as wings covered them partially, but 360 cameras were great, camper or no camper.
TPMS can not only save you lot of time and clean hands, but also make 1 thing less to worry.
Remote start work on my Ford from quarter of mile. Not only very handy when you are walking into 120F truck, but much easier to find the truck park on huge parking lot in the city you don't know.
Not sure when and if all the technology will make it to trucks, but:
My cars have self-parking. Not much use as paralel parking is rare where I go, but great show when you have friends in the car.
Keyless go if you have it available proved to be priceless during pandemic.
Also latest SUV have electric gear shifting and electric parking brake. When it can be annoying 1st time since they apply when you open the door, I found it GREAT help when launching the boat as opening the door put the truck if full safety parking automatically, so I do not have to worry about it.
You have to adjust to technology.
Fuel range is set to default to factory setting, so I always smile when I fill up to see "500 miles range" when I know I can't count for much more than 350.
Lane assistance proves to be more annoying than useful. Well painted lines are rare on the roads, when sun seems to affect the feature. Give it few more years to improve.

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
A lot of new vehicles now seem available in only two interior colors - Black and Black ... In FLORIDA no less - that's bizarre.

Well with Ram certain interior colors are only available with certain exterior colors and some are SRW only…

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
A lot of new vehicles now seem available in only two interior colors - Black and Black ... In FLORIDA no less - that's bizarre.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
The problem today, if you want one or two things, you need to buy an expensive package - including items you might not want and may never use.

Example: Tried to add a electric driver seat ... gotta buy the next package, which includes nothing I would normally purchase. Ups the price $2630 ... or no seat.

You’re not kidding, I’ve not figured out how some options aren’t available with certain paint selection same for interior colors. If you’re ordering and an option is available you should be able to select it. A 360 dollar item should not require a 1500 dollar Nav package that doesn’t relate to it…

JJ

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The problem today, if you want one or two things, you need to buy an expensive package - including items you might not want and may never use.

Example: Tried to add a electric driver seat ... gotta buy the next package, which includes nothing I would normally purchase. Ups the price $2630 ... or no seat.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a Rostra 250-8660 camera to plug in when my tailgate is off. I have it mounted to the underside of my Arctic Fox Fox Landing. I still get a pretty complete 360 view, and best of all, still have a backup camera right over my extended hitch.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the rear sensors are turned off when you plug something into the trailer hitch. or you can turn off the switch.
when you take tailgate off there is a connector that comes with the truck you should put on the wire harness that disconnected from tailgate. but if you have a bed camera it will still work, but all you will see is the camper.
if you have sirius xm you will loose coverage lots of times with camper covering roof (unless you add a secondary antenna out on hood).
everything will still work.
my favorite truck was the ram with all the options, those cooled leather seats were great.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still find my adaptive cruise, cooled and heated seats, heated steering wheel and dual climate control quite useful. Also the 360 camera is very handy. Not a premium option but I do find the tight turning radius of my F450 a big plus. Will all those features last, I don't know. Its not something I worry about. I just enjoy a comfortable quiet cab on the slightly more premium trim.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Bedlam
I have always avoided higher trim models with the thought that these options will be too expensive or impossible to fix beyond warranty since I keep vehicles for 10+ years. You will lose rear sensors and cameras with a truck camper, but will retain front and side mounted systems. Some functions on the rear can be restored with additions added to the camper and patched into the truck wiring.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
This seems like a silly post. Clearly a tailgate camera, an automatic rearview mirror and rear sensors are not going to be of any use. Nor would a skylight.

My truck came with all sorts of other accessories, many of which are really nice. I like the voice activated electronics including audio, nav and climate control. I thought the heated/cooled seat and heated steering wheel would be of little use. I was wrong. I really like them. My wife and I like the auto seat/mirror adjustments and we can easily push a single button to make the adjustments when we change drivers. Even things like the rain activated wipers are minor conveniences.

It’s not a silly post for someone that’s never had a TC and decided to order all the towing bells and whistles offered to find out half of them won’t work once the TC is loaded,,,

JJ