Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Place your bets now!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Place your bets now!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Who would know a transmission had lifters? [emoticon]

Lol, right? I missed that diagnosis by a country mile!
So they replaced all the lifters on the bank with the 2 bad ones.
Kinda pissed that they didn’t do both sides. Seems like a much higher chance this issue may present itself again….
Otherwise it runs good. Smells like coolant under the hood now… confused why they’d have opened up the cooling system. Unless the newer LS motors have coolant running through the intake manifold?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bigfoot affair

Sweet Grass

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Who would know a transmission had lifters? [emoticon]

Lol, right? I missed that diagnosis by a country mile!
So they replaced all the lifters on the bank with the 2 bad ones.
Kinda pissed that they didn’t do both sides. Seems like a much higher chance this issue may present itself again….
Otherwise it runs good. Smells like coolant under the hood now… confused why they’d have opened up the cooling system. Unless the newer LS motors have coolant running through the intake manifold?

No coolant in the intake, cylinder head has to come off for lifter replacement.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was quite shocked to read about the magnitude of this issue in newer GM's. It's really too bad; the old 2000-2006 LS engines are nothing short of bulletproof. I'm always amazed at how well the 5.3L in our 2001 Yukon runs even with 275k kms. She even took us through all of the flooded roads last Sunday to get us home from the interior!

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

I was quite shocked to read about the magnitude of this issue in newer GM's. ...

What magnitude is it? Who was the source? I would be interested in reading as well.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

blofgren wrote:

I was quite shocked to read about the magnitude of this issue in newer GM's. ...

What magnitude is it? Who was the source? I would be interested in reading as well.

Idk if there's any published numbers, likely just rumor and heresy, but GM has issued service bulletins about it and the little mom n pop dealer I had mine fixed at, who likely does about 0.1% of the service work on Chebbies in the Seattle area said he does a couple a week on average.
Due to parts availability, they said they only did the bank they had opened up to save some parts for the next guy who's likely be calling soon.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now they get to do the other side. Yay!
Truck is down for the count again. Same issue.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Now they get to do the other side. Yay!
Truck is down for the count again. Same issue.

That sucks. This is another thing that many on GM forums were complaining about; GM should be taking care of all of them while the truck is in there.

My 2001 Yukon is still running great!

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand GM is having a valve line problem on all V-8 gas engines equipped with active fuel management. Problems are a result of changing from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder.
I have installed a device on my 19 Corvette that prevents the active fuel management system changing to 4 cyl. mode.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

I understand GM is having a valve line problem on all V-8 gas engines equipped with active fuel management. Problems are a result of changing from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder.
I have installed a device on my 19 Corvette that prevents the active fuel management system changing to 4 cyl. mode.

Yes, and I haven’t gotten into the details much, but there WAS a past problem with AFM that shut down the same 4 cylinders.
As I understand, the newer engines (which include your vette) have DFM which can does shut down any of the cylinders. IE it spreads the love around.
And there may be other potential issues with DFM have seen folks who are shutting it off to preserve something. I’m just not very well read on it.
This particular issue as I understand it is merely defective lifters that are collapsing. And not necessarily related to the DFM.
As evidenced by it happening a lot at very low miles = just equals bad parts.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect example of "penny wise, pound foolish"...British origins, so dollars here...

Classic bean counter management that only cares about their bottom line...for that quarter. As their bonuses are based on quarterly performance...

But, that is the way of the corporate world. It is also known as 'financial management' vs 'managing the product'

As for GM's 8 cylinder deactivated to 4 cylinders, depends on which year/era.

GM's first iteration deactivated the same cylinders all the time when it went down to become a 4 banger. That had the deactivated cylinders not get hot enough and the rings were cold and not sealing. That then pumped engine oil into the cylinder to foul the plugs/valves/etc

Later years/era, the computer managed a rolling deactivation between all cylinders and read that they had balance issues at first.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Place your bets now!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.