cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CARLISLE CSL 16 TIRES

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a dozen different reasons related to politically contrived supply chain problems, good manufacturers suddenly moving from china to vietnam so they can turn a good brand into a bad one, unavailability in my size, etc, etc, I chose a set of four new Carlisle CSL 16 tires in ST235/80R16.

G Rated, 14 ply rated, 81 mph rated M, all steel body, and from what I read it is the highest load rated tire in the Carlisle RV trailer line.

Sailuns, even before the vietnam issues, were 75 mph speed rated L, so LETS SAY the CSL 16's are TECHNICALLY BETTER just for giggles. Tomato tomatto.

I'll be mounting them on a new set of Raceline RCL 935 B Defender TR wheels that are rated for lots of weight too because I apparently hate having money.

My 5er has a GVWR of 15,500 and a GAWR each axle 7,000.

Since I don't see much on the interwebinators about this tire, I'll post a review since I'll be putting 1,500 miles on them immediately. Hopefully the review will be "They're tires man. Why are we talking about tires so much?"
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16
17 REPLIES 17

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle tires are on every Uhaul trailer we’ve seen. I have Sailun G’s on my Cardinal.

dedmiston
Dieselmike1 wrote:
Any more update on these tires? I just ordered some for my 5th wheel.

Hi Mike - Welcome to the forum.

You replied to a thread that's over a year old, so there's a good chance you won't hear back from the OP.

Feel free to start a new thread with your question if you'd like.

Happy Camping,
Dave

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
After my last experience with Carlisle, in 2012 though, they left a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure the new Carlisle design is much better, but I bought another set of Sailun. I tend to go with what I know works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Rollochrome wrote:
laknox wrote:
Rollochrome wrote:
OK. I ran the new Carlisle CSL 16s 550 miles at about 70-75 mph

I aired them up to the max 110 and they heated up and stayed under 120 psi for the whole trip. No issues. No wobble. I had two VERY tight turns where the trailer tires were just almost pivoting and there was no issue.

I am going to put about 1,000 miles on them in a week or so. Hopefully nothing to report again!!!

So far very pleased...

Wow! You =really= must not like having money by towing that fast. Slow down to 65, or less, and you'll likely pick up 2-4 mpg. Slowing from 65 to 60 (old tires) picked me up almost 2 mpg with my old Komfort.

Lyle

Yes I saw a SIGNIFICANT difference in mileage on my first trip at 65ish to my second at 70-75.

I think I got 11 mpg driving 65 and 9 mpg driving 70-75.

Slowing down will have the greatest effect on the fuel mileage towing. You probably cannot measure the difference in fuel economy of tire a at 55 vas 75 MPH.

In my opinion, 75 mph is just too fast o be towing a 5th wheel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Dieselmike1
Explorer
Explorer
Any more update on these tires? I just ordered some for my 5th wheel.

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Rollochrome wrote:

I aired them up to the max 110 and they heated up and stayed under 120 psi for the whole trip. No issues. No wobble. I had two VERY tight turns where the trailer tires were just almost pivoting and there was no issue.

I am going to put about 1,000 miles on them in a week or so. Hopefully nothing to report again!!!

So far very pleased...

Wow! You =really= must not like having money by towing that fast. Slow down to 65, or less, and you'll likely pick up 2-4 mpg. Slowing from 65 to 60 (old tires) picked me up almost 2 mpg with my old Komfort.

Lyle

Yes I saw a SIGNIFICANT difference in mileage on my first trip at 65ish to my second at 70-75.

I think I got 11 mpg driving 65 and 9 mpg driving 70-75.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just shake my head when some claim their best towing mileage is best at 70.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Rollochrome wrote:

So far very pleased...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I hear you.

I'm just posting a play by play of getting some new trailer tires because Im a nerd like that... 🙂

I'll be putting about 2000 miles on them here shortly and hopefully have nothing again to report.

My main reason in posting was due to the lack of threads on the net about these tires and I was hoping to create some content that would be returned for other thru a search so they wont have to do so much legwork like I did, especially since Sailun did us the unfortunate favor of messing up their 2021 run of tires thus removing themselves from the favored position of being the easy button of the RV world for awhile

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
uhhhhnn...any ST tire can make those kind of miles.
Come back after 15k-18k miles or so and give us a report.
These newer ST load G all steel carcass tires are hands down better than the run of the mill load C/D/E poly carcass tires as far as long term use goes. I'spect those CSL Carlisle's will match other steel ply carcass load G tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer

So far very pleased...

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
EgorKC wrote:
Rollochrome wrote:
I apparently hate having money."

You said exactly what we all feel. I/we on the forum look forward to your review. Happy travels.
Greg the wannabe chef :B:)

Thanks!

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Where are the Carliles made?

They are made in China

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Rollochrome wrote:
Due to a dozen different reasons related to politically contrived supply chain problems, good manufacturers suddenly moving from china to vietnam so they can turn a good brand into a bad one, unavailability in my size, etc, etc, I chose a set of four new Carlisle CSL 16 tires in ST235/80R16.

G Rated, 14 ply rated, 81 mph rated M, all steel body, and from what I read it is the highest load rated tire in the Carlisle RV trailer line.

Sailuns, even before the vietnam issues, were 75 mph speed rated L, so LETS SAY the CSL 16's are TECHNICALLY BETTER just for giggles. Tomato tomatto.

I'll be mounting them on a new set of Raceline RCL 935 B Defender TR wheels that are rated for lots of weight too because I apparently hate having money.

My 5er has a GVWR of 15,500 and a GAWR each axle 7,000.

Since I don't see much on the interwebinators about this tire, I'll post a review since I'll be putting 1,500 miles on them immediately. Hopefully the review will be "They're tires man. Why are we talking about tires so much?"
Me too I am looking for a replacement of the Sailun I use for a long time.Carlisle CSL it is on my list together with Hankook Vantra TH31.I am looking forward to your review for the Carlisle after you put more mile on them.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023