Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Is all DEF the same?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is all DEF the same?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

A little more here, copy out of TDR issue 71. I am pretty sure the Napa filter question was during the 1st get era. Issue 71 is about the '99-'00.

It seems that numerous Cummins B series engines equipped with entry level Fram filters suffered piston failures some time back (years 1999, 2000). Upon investigation it was found that the piston undercrown oiling tubes (official term: piston cooling nozzles) were plugged, which caused the pistons to overheat and scuff against the cylinder walls. Cummins found that these oilers were plugged by some of the glue or resins used in the Fram filters, so they sent Fram a bill for those engines. You don’t want to screw with diesel engine manufacturers’ products, because their reputations are very important to them. Fram immediately upgraded the quality of this filter for use on the Cummins B series engine. Kudos to Fram for this one filter. *Editor’s note: Documentation of Fram’s filter follies (follies: as nice a term as I could find) is found in TDR Issue 34, page 105. As a result of their follies, Dodge issued a technical service bulletin (TSB 09-004-01 dated 5/18/01) which informed the service network of the recommended oil filters for the Turbo Diesel engine. The approved manufacturers were (again the date of the TSB is May 2001):

What does any of this have to do with DEF?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

A little more here, copy out of TDR issue 71. I am pretty sure the Napa filter question was during the 1st get era. Issue 71 is about the '99-'00.

It seems that numerous Cummins B series engines equipped with entry level Fram filters suffered piston failures some time back (years 1999, 2000). Upon investigation it was found that the piston undercrown oiling tubes (official term: piston cooling nozzles) were plugged, which caused the pistons to overheat and scuff against the cylinder walls. Cummins found that these oilers were plugged by some of the glue or resins used in the Fram filters, so they sent Fram a bill for those engines. You don’t want to screw with diesel engine manufacturers’ products, because their reputations are very important to them. Fram immediately upgraded the quality of this filter for use on the Cummins B series engine. Kudos to Fram for this one filter. *Editor’s note: Documentation of Fram’s filter follies (follies: as nice a term as I could find) is found in TDR Issue 34, page 105. As a result of their follies, Dodge issued a technical service bulletin (TSB 09-004-01 dated 5/18/01) which informed the service network of the recommended oil filters for the Turbo Diesel engine. The approved manufacturers were (again the date of the TSB is May 2001):

Maybe you should be asking openspaces as he said

"I know nothing about DEF. But I love the way FRAM always gets kicked about like everything they make is bad."

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not a dang thing, just useless 20 year old news about oil filters from before DEF was even invented. Lol!

* This post was edited 01/02/22 01:59pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is all DEF the same?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.