cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed mat and cutting out for factory bed holes?

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered the new 3500 with the factory puck system in the bed. Now I did not get the factory spray in bed liner. Going to put the rubber bed mat in when it makes it here. But would like to cut around all 5 circle covers in the bed. Figure if I cut the new mat to fit those parts. That would allow me to use the 5th wheel frame and the goose neck ball. While still having the mat in place. Anyone find a easy way to lay out mat to fit these and cut the mat?
I'm thinking hole-saw and lay the mat down with the covers off the puck sections. Then find the center of those holes. Cut out big enough for the whole cover on each.
Will be spraying the white Bed Liner on the sides of the bed. Along with the tailgate next spring/Summer. But want the floor to only have the bed mat.
Sorry for such a long winded question. But these days I'm bad about this.

Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
18 REPLIES 18

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Do the pucks have threaded holes? If so, cut head off bolts and screw them in. Tap cardboard or mat (plywood?) with hammer, this would make marks for center.

You may want to look up what a “puck system” is in these newer trucks.

Why should I bother? I don't need to mark holes.
The OP is/was wanting ideas. If mine will not work, it might give him another. Worse case, wasted a few electrons.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Do the pucks have threaded holes? If so, cut head off bolts and screw them in. Tap cardboard or mat (plywood?) with hammer, this would make marks for center.

No threaded holes. Just big key like cutouts. The frame fits into then you turn the key. It spins and locks it in place. But after hauling the camper 600 miles. There's perfect marks in the mat now to cut out the holes.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:

You may want to look up what a “puck system” is in these newer trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Made a template of Cardboard. Then cut the mat using that. Got the 2016 Eagle Cap 1200 home. Did not move on the 650 mile trip. Feel that the camper should mark the 5 pucks. As the weight should leave the impressions on the mat. If not will get those marked also.
Will be spraying the white bed liner in this spring. Just not warm enough to get it done this winter. Unless my shot gets finished before spring. But its like everything else. Waiting on the concrete to get poured.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Pete_k wrote:

I'm thinking lift up one side at a time. Put red lipstick on the bed cover lips. Then lay the mat back down. But have a section of Vinyl floor in the shop.

I would just lay it down the crawl under with a sharpy and mark the holes from the bottom. it will take a bit of work but then nothing is out of place

Steve

The holes have the puck sockets under them, not easily accessible.

ya it will take some twisting and turning, but on mine I could do it if I take the spair tire out.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Pete_k wrote:

I'm thinking lift up one side at a time. Put red lipstick on the bed cover lips. Then lay the mat back down. But have a section of Vinyl floor in the shop.

I would just lay it down the crawl under with a sharpy and mark the holes from the bottom. it will take a bit of work but then nothing is out of place

Steve

The holes have the puck sockets under them, not easily accessible.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pete_k wrote:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pete_k wrote:
Bed mat will be 3/16" for that reason. With the picture frame in the truck. A 3/16 piece of lexan, just fits. I can adjust the pucks to take care of some of that if need be.
I'm thinking lift up one side at a time. Put red lipstick on the bed cover lips. Then lay the mat back down. But have a section of Vinyl floor in the shop. Its 5ft by 10ft. Thinking I will use it as a template. Get everything right, then use to it to drill the holes out.
May have to pick up a 4x8 1/4" mat Monday. If I buy the camper were going to look at. To get it home on. If so they also have a 5x8 mat. May just buy it and cut to fit the truck. AS the DEZ-DZ86916 - Dee Zee Truck Bed Mat has been moved back to Mid Jan now. So if I go this route. I will cancel that order. They told me yesterday It would not be an issue if I did not wait until Jan to cancel that mat.

Merry Christmas. Yes if what I said was confusing, then I would suggest a template. And full size like your planning, if you aren’t comfortable with drawing straight lines and using a tape measure.
Presume you don’t have a bed liner if you’re worried about even getting the camper home without a mat. However, buying a mat that you have to “customize “ to make fit, seems counterproductive beings you’re not comfortable laying out the cuts.
Also unless you plan on climbing pikes peak on the way home with your camper, and worried it will slide out the back, there are other options to protect your truck bed from scratches.
With this being the day of the birth of Christ, there is already and will be copious amounts of used cardboard around.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the mat might not work with the factory 5th wheel hitch either as it lays down pretty close on the bed. I used to just role up the rubber mat, put a tie down around it to keep it rolled up and put it in the garage when I needed to use the 5th wheel hitch.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Bed mat will be 3/16" for that reason. With the picture frame in the truck. A 3/16 piece of lexan, just fits. I can adjust the pucks to take care of some of that if need be.
I'm thinking lift up one side at a time. Put red lipstick on the bed cover lips. Then lay the mat back down. But have a section of Vinyl floor in the shop. Its 5ft by 10ft. Thinking I will use it as a template. Get everything right, then use to it to drill the holes out.
May have to pick up a 4x8 1/4" mat Monday. If I buy the camper were going to look at. To get it home on. If so they also have a 5x8 mat. May just buy it and cut to fit the truck. AS the DEZ-DZ86916 - Dee Zee Truck Bed Mat has been moved back to Mid Jan now. So if I go this route. I will cancel that order. They told me yesterday It would not be an issue if I did not wait until Jan to cancel that mat.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IF you find that you’re able to do this and the bed mat does not conflict with the adapter (I’m doubtful as well), using some sort of “transfer marks” to layout will be difficult and likely not perfect.
Do the layout like this.
- Mark center of bed and center of mat transversely.
- Mark center of GN hole longitudinal measuring from front of bed and front of mat (after you account for how mat fits if not tight to the front of the bed.
- measure and mark 5ver holes from center of gn hole as reference.
-check square and dimensions before scribing holes to cut.
-run hole saw in reverse if using a hole saw. Or just cut with a utility knife. Hole saw will burn through the rubber essentially but works good, although you’ll probably need a second handle on the drill.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
If your mat is to thick the B&W hitch may not work.
Same is true for the Ram "picture frame adapter", too. Some clearance between the bed and bottom of the adapter, but not a lot.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
If your mat is to thick the B&W hitch may not work.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride