Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I Winterized ............. but then this happened.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> I Winterized ............. but then this happened.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s possible the blade didn’t close all the way and is letting the antifreeze leak out.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, the toilet is not leaking onto the floor, just not holding water?

The toilet in our camper has never really held water, but it has worked fine otherwise from the beginning. If you fill the toilet, over time the water will vanish - I assume leaking into the black tank.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

So, the toilet is not leaking onto the floor, just not holding water?

The toilet in our camper has never really held water, but it has worked fine otherwise from the beginning. If you fill the toilet, over time the water will vanish - I assume leaking into the black tank.

In a toilet, the water in the bowl works just like the water in a trap under the sink; prevents gasses from entering the living area. If the seal will not hold water up, how does it hold stink down?

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

lenr wrote:

Put on plastic gloves and wipe Vasoline all over the seal. This is approved and recommended by Dometic. Dometic is also an easy seal change.

If that is an approved solution by Dometic it must be new. I have always been told to not use any petroleum product on the seal. Plumbers silicone was the correct answer from everything I've ever been told. Please post where Dometic states this as I can't find it.

Plumber's Silicone is what we've used, not Plumber's Putty and it revived it. Works great. Antifreeze is still sitting in the bowl and we winterized early October.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

In a toilet, the water in the bowl works just like the water in a trap under the sink; prevents gasses from entering the living area. If the seal will not hold water up, how does it hold stink down?

While the toilet in my current RV holds water, my last 2 (both class C, bought used), didn't hold water in the bowl for more than 5 minutes, max. But we never had an issue with stink in the 22 years (combined) that we used them. Maybe because the black tank vent was much larger than the tiny leak through the toilet blade?

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recall where I read that Vasoline was suggested by Dometic--it was on a prior trailer. It could have been in the installation instructions for the replacement seal. It's just an easy thing to try, and readily available.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas Nomad wrote:

I winterized my used but newly purchased Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS about two weeks ago. Today, I went to the storage facility to perform a minor repair. I looked into the commode bowl and discovered that all of the anti-freeze (about a quart) I poured in during winterization was gone. It was bone dry! I realize that the seal is leaking. This never happened in my prior Coachmen TT. Is there a DIY fix for this? Am I looking at a trip to the RV repair shop? Thanks

antifreeze evaporates, have had this hsppeneing for 30 years and never had to replace a seal. it may have a slow weep from a pice of tioilet paper , you can upen it up and clean out the grove, but this happens to me every winter and every spring the toilet works fine.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mustn’t be too concerned since you haven’t responded back, but what exactly are you worried about OP? This does not affect the winterization. You do understand that?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had to put on a glove and rub around the seal in my toilet. I never felt any debris, but the seal held after. If you have a really slow leak like it holds water until the next flush you can also just ignore it as when in storage there really is no need for water in the bowl. But before working on the valve I would put a tiny bit of water in the bowl and let it sit for a while to seep down and wet the dry seal before you open the valve.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Texas Nomad

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions. The toilet is a Thetford Aqua Magic II. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and ordered the replacement seal. Looks like it will be an easy fix.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> I Winterized ............. but then this happened.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.