Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I'm left wondering if this is a publicity photo meant to stir up controversy.

I can't see too clearly but it looks like a 3kw generator.

Assuming it can put out 3kw continuous while driving down the road (most generators are rated based on peak output, so it would likely be lower), it's likely having a negligible impact. At freeway speeds, the tesla is consuming something on the order of 30kw, so 3kw in means the batteries will still be contributing 27kw.

Of course, the connection for a standard 120v household plug is only good for around 1kw. So unless it's really a 240v generator, it's going to provide negligible charging. OK in an emergency if you can't plug into a grid but not really useful for extending the range.

I’m left wondering why, if you can’t see good enough to tell what that generator is for sure and don’t even know what it puts out, based on your supposition, why you’re even responding.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Interesting but I will stay with gas. As of 2020 80% of all EV owners still owned a gas or diesel vehicle and 12 volt lead acid batteries are still used in EV vehicles. After 8 year warranty expire a replacement large EV battery will cost $22,000.00 from the factory or at least $5,000.00 from third market vendors. EV vehicles make up about 1% of the total auto and truck market. I find gas is so convenient. So save your

You must have lost another response to this thread, over in the B20 thread….

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 02:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

It's ok they are saving the planet with their EV.

They have a long long ways to go. Maybe someday they can recycle all those large batteries. YEP

Dave. That’s his name….on Storage Wars. The guy who always says “YEEEPP” real loud and annoying like. Is your name Dave? If so can I have your autograph?
I mean, no one likes that dude. He’s super annoying but he’s a star on the show.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/22 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/tesla-delivered-record-936k-vehicles-2021-87-82044733

Remember what happened to tube-type TVs?

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an owner of an EV vehicle, these vehicles use their energy (battery) to maintain the battery (energy) in an environment that works (not freezing cold).

So the low amount of electricity will be used to keep the battery warmer, and remote start will warm the seats and steering wheel from the external source.

I can tell you that range is impacted. However, I used my electric vehicle most of the Holiday season instead of my Cadillac based on short trips and fuel trips.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And this is exactly what i laughed about happening as these owners started trying to take them out of their urban environments. And someone trying to take one into remote areas, especially if they were towing, even a tiny trailer would be nuts not to take a genny along.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing different than carrying a extra fuel can or mounting a fuel tank in the bed of truck.
Get used to things being different.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/22 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted the picture just for a chuckle. It was taken by my friend at a snow park in California. You can rent sleds and cabins for a weekend or a week riding trials in the woods.

It is not unknown on "going home day" to start your genny and plug a diesel block heater and battery charger in while you make your last run of the trip. Get back about 10:00, knock the snow off the sleds and load up. The truck gets warm real quick, while your hands are cold and you are a little sweaty. Stop at the first good diner on the way home for lunch. Ditto for the Tesla guys. Exact same thinking. This is a really good idea, if the vehicles have been sitting in the cold and snow for a week.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary thanks for the link.

* This post was edited 01/03/22 12:17pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

I posted the picture just for a chuckle. It was taken by my friend at a snow park in California. You can rent sleds and cabins for a weekend or a week riding trials in the woods.

It is not unknown on "going home day" to start your genny and plug a diesel block heater and battery charger in while you make your last run of the trip. Get back about 10:00, knock the snow off the sleds and load up. The truck gets warm real quick, while your hands are cold and you are a little sweaty. Stop at the first good diner on the way home for lunch. Ditto for the Tesla guys. Exact same thinking. This is a really good idea, if the vehicles have been sitting in the cold and snow for a week.

Ok. But pre-heating is not the reason he has it plugged into a generator. It was mentioned that there was a charging station close by so range extension wasn’t either. Unless maybe he didn’t know it was there or maybe it was broken or who knows. But you definitely don’t need a generator or any power source for pre-heating or pre conditioning. We have a project going on in the garage right now so every night our tesla sits outside in minus 20 degrees celcius or worse and not plugged in. Pre-heating consists of pulling out the phone and selecting the pre-heat control on the App. 5 to 7 minutes later the Interior of the car has gone from minus 20 to plus 20 and the windows are defrosted and the seats are warm.

I’m sure he had his reasons but preheat wouldn’t have been one of them. Oh, and the car can’t move if it’s hooked up to a power source so that generator is not running when he is on the road.

Interesting observation in our area. Those with electric vehicles and gas vehicles keep their gassers inside so at minus 25 in the morning they start easy and are easier to warm up. The electric vehicles are always parked outside in the snow. They always “start” and are toasty warm in half the time.

Jmho.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.