Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5er Noob Looking for a Hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er Noob Looking for a Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

I'm researching now for the inevitable move to a 5er. I'm planning on getting a Reese Goosebox. It allows you to swap out your traditional 5th wheel hitch on your camper with a model that is approved by Lippert to allow you to use a regular gooseneck ball in your bed. No hitch to install, move, store, get in the way... just a regular 2 5/16 hall.

It eliminates the traditional hitch in your bed and reduces or completely eliminates the chucking you get from a traditional 5th wheel hitch.

The Goose Box is a ball hitch and requires safety chains. And a Goose Box will still chuck if the road conditions are such.

Personally, my feelings are that you will be better served by a B&W Turn-Over Ball and use it with a B&W Companion hitch. You can still totally remove the hitch and not have any rails in the truck bed.

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/22 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One issue when changing from a standard king pin hitch is you limit your options. If your truck has a break down and your 5er needs towed by someone else.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH

humblerb

houston

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Lantley, good idea, I didn't think to check Hensley. The air ride is interesting, does it really improve the ride?

Regarding removal, maybe not plywood, but drywall...you pile a few sheets of drywall on top of a hitch and it won't look like much when you get it home. Also, DW is into restoring furniture...she's excited to have a truck vs. the old Suburban because she can bring home bigger stuff now... [emoticon]

I'm thinking an engine hoist make hitch removal easy, right?

[image]

I tried the engine hoist and got rid of it quickly. Needed something I could be in the bed of the truck when lowering. Couldn't do that with the engine hoist.
I wanted to hang a winch from the ceiling. This would have been ideal and I could just "store" the hitch in the air. But I can't back in my shop far enough to clear the raised door when it is open.
Finally determined I could use a chain fall.
I have a steel shop and have a steel header above the garage door.
I installed an eye bolt and hang the chain fall from the eye.
Works great for me. Once the hitch is removed, take the fall down and store it away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er Noob Looking for a Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.