Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Chassis Cab Ride Quality
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Chassis Cab Ride Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
fpoole

PNW and Beyond

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/22/22 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah, I have the 4.11 and with camper on I just figure 9.5. I tow a SxS 7x18 open trailer and figure 8.5.. so you're right in the ball park...I'm a diesel though..
You might tate a look at the extra fuel tank, I have 70+ and it's great on trips but not so great at the pump.. heheh..

Hope that helps..


Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website


mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/22 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People are saying it's not that bad in the same manner as they say IPAs are delicious.

They take a sip, and immediately you can see the desperate look in their eyes. Their throat quivers as they try to suppress the gag reflex. Their eyes begin to water. Then their lip twitches and their face begins to turn a shade of red. With some effort they swallow, and with a breathless "AHHHHH!" they claim it's the most tastiest thing they have ever tasted ever.

The ride is not that bad because if you admitted to yourself it rides like it has square wheels, you would begin to hate the vehicle and ultimately begin to hate the whole camping experience.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

People are saying it's not that bad in the same manner as they say IPAs are delicious.

They take a sip, and immediately you can see the desperate look in their eyes. Their throat quivers as they try to suppress the gag reflex. Their eyes begin to water. Then their lip twitches and their face begins to turn a shade of red. With some effort they swallow, and with a breathless "AHHHHH!" they claim it's the most tastiest thing they have ever tasted ever.

The ride is not that bad because if you admitted to yourself it rides like it has square wheels, you would begin to hate the vehicle and ultimately begin to hate the whole camping experience.


I may print and frame this to hang on the wall! Funniest, most honest thing I’ve heard in a while!
I’m the proverbial F550 owner of beer, btw…lol.
I’m past the first 6 stages of IPA shock and now just get er dun! And tell my non IPA drinkin buddies how good it is….
IPAs are nice on road trips though, because after 3 beers, you have effectively drank a 6 pack of “normal” beer before you have to pull over and “check the tire pressure.”
Dammmit, now I’m going to think of med duty trucks when I crack open a frosty, cold, ummm…delicious? IPA!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reality Check

North Bend

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/22 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

People are saying it's not that bad in the same manner as they say IPAs are delicious.

They take a sip, and immediately you can see the desperate look in their eyes. Their throat quivers as they try to suppress the gag reflex. Their eyes begin to water. Then their lip twitches and their face begins to turn a shade of red. With some effort they swallow, and with a breathless "AHHHHH!" they claim it's the most tastiest thing they have ever tasted ever.

The ride is not that bad because if you admitted to yourself it rides like it has square wheels, you would begin to hate the vehicle and ultimately begin to hate the whole camping experience.


Lol, I shouldn't have sugar coated everything with the word "brutal".

Just so we're all on the same page...an empty flatbed (a few truck boxes or not) does ride rough. No thanks. I made a couple of trips with the current truck prior to the air and new bed, towing a trailer that was 10k, with a 2400# tongue weight, and I had a #3000 block of concrete in the back strapped on. Drivers seat wasn't so bad..wasn't great...but the passengers needed a kidney transplant when we got home. Should have poured the block heavier...

[image]


'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/22/22 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I may print and frame this to hang on the wall! Funniest, most honest thing I’ve heard in a while!
I’m the proverbial F550 owner of beer, btw…lol.
I’m past the first 6 stages of IPA shock and now just get er dun! And tell my non IPA drinkin buddies how good it is….


For sure, it seems there are few people who like IPAs that also like the yellow beers that reminds some of us of something else that we'd never drink.

One thing that maybe was left off is that F350 Chassis cabs still have higher capacities than their pickup equivalent but don't have 19.5s.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/22 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

I may print and frame this to hang on the wall! Funniest, most honest thing I’ve heard in a while!
I’m the proverbial F550 owner of beer, btw…lol.
I’m past the first 6 stages of IPA shock and now just get er dun! And tell my non IPA drinkin buddies how good it is….


For sure, it seems there are few people who like IPAs that also like the yellow beers that reminds some of us of something else that we'd never drink.

One thing that maybe was left off is that F350 Chassis cabs still have higher capacities than their pickup equivalent but don't have 19.5s.


I’m not prejudiced. I’ll slam a 12ver of Lite just as willingly as some Bhode or Space dust, but if I get through a half dozen of those, I’m not as appreciative the next day!

Cliff and Michele

Seattle

New Member

Joined: 02/22/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/22 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great timing. We just ordered a new Northern Lite 10-2 LEDB and are about to order a RAM 5500 and a body, possibly from Douglass Truck Bodies. We went with the 5500 as the payload of a 4500 is not much more than a 3500, but it does hve a huge towing capcity over the 3500. I needed carrying capacity so I went with the 5500. It looks like I will need a Kelderman air suspension after reading these comments.

zb39

slippery rock

Senior Member

Joined: 10/26/2009

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/23/22 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will love the Kelderman setup. It changes everything. Tell them I sent you. Brad


2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cliff and Michele wrote:

Great timing. We just ordered a new Northern Lite 10-2 LEDB and are about to order a RAM 5500 and a body, possibly from Douglass Truck Bodies. We went with the 5500 as the payload of a 4500 is not much more than a 3500, but it does hve a huge towing capcity over the 3500. I needed carrying capacity so I went with the 5500. It looks like I will need a Kelderman air suspension after reading these comments.


4500 vs 5500 is the same typical dilemma as 2500 vs 3500.
As far as I know, same frame, axles, wheels and brakes, different springs and different gvw/payload rating.
None of which matters if you’re ripping out the suspension and replacing it with aftermarket. Even the gvw ratings don’t matter once you modify the most important part of the gvw equation.

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/23/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Re-reading your first post, OP, appears you're not planning on a heavier camper?
You already have a couple thousand lbs of headroom in your real world payload on your new dually, beyond what the loaded camper weighs. Seems like an ideal match as you have it, unless you're wanting to pack around a literal ton of extra "stuff" beyond the (estimated) 4500lb fully stocked camper.


TC carrying capacity on my truck is 5,071 lbs based on the included truck camper into provided with the truck. Cargo Carrying Capacity as indicated on the door frame is 5,916 lbs.

Fully loaded with 50 gallons of water, propane, inflatable SUP’s, 2 75 lb electric bikes and the heavy stinger and rack to carry them puts me at 14,000 at the CAT scale, which is right at my GVWR.

I am looking at larger truck so i can install a utility bed to carry even MORE stuff.


2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Chassis Cab Ride Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.