Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dog attack in Lancaster CA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dog attack in Lancaster CA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of craziness in the entire Antelope Valley. I try to not stop in the AV when driving to and from the Eastern Sierra but do get gas in Mojave.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked like one of those "resorts".

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please keep to the topic, political comments will be removed. We all need to work to agree to disagree at times, but politics isn't part of the forum.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drive past that "camp" a few times a month and it's an armpit. It's in the far north corner of L.A. County before it turns into Kern. We call it "The Motorhomeless Camp". It's an illegal assortment of homeless people scattered in apparently derelict RVs.

I looked through my phone but didn't spend too much time looking for the photo from a year or so ago of a few of the RVs engulfed in flames. We snapped the pic on our way out to our destination camp. Hopefully nobody was injured.

The City or County brought out some portable toilets and maintains them to keep the camp semi-sanitary. Regardless though, it's a tweaker camp and an utter dump. I assume that the local government's opinion is that it's more desirable for the homeless folks to be out in this remote desert camp than in downtown L.A.

I'm not surprised that someone was hurt there, but I'm surprised to see it hit the national news.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Pit bull” is why it hit the national news
Had it been a Rottweiler or German shepherd it probably wouldn’t have hit the national news

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with BC Snob on all counts.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also think that when "journalists" use sensational headlines that do NOT jibe with the story that they should be ignored, not given more attention.

The headline "1 dead, 3 injured in dog attack at RV encampment" is not what happened. "Fight broke out at RV encampment, 1 dead, 3 injured" IS more accurate. And linking to the story as "Dog kills one at RV camp" is sensationalism too.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs will be sogs. All are proiective of their owners. Many years ago (almost 60) a Cocker Spanial thought I was chasing its boyhood chum and attacted me. I still have the scar on my leg.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to say that pit bulls weren't the most dangerous but looked it up. Forbes says they had 284 attacks with Rottweilers and German Shepards far far below them. 280 or so for the PB and 45 IIRC for the Rottweiler. All the other breeds added together probably are less than half of the PB.
I thought Chows were highly dangerous but they aren't even in the top ten. Of course how many dogs of a specific breed exist in the US is a factor. Not many chows around for example.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Increases in breed popularity also lead to increased litters produced from poorer examples of the breed (less stable/desirable temperaments and instinctual traits).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dog attack in Lancaster CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.