cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Portable Satellite Dish for Direct TV?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions on the best portable Sat Dish to use with Direct TV.
8 REPLIES 8

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
With DTV you are limited to a large dish with 3 LNBs in order to get HD and all of the channels. I currently have DTV that is SD so we can have in motion TV but they keep dropping channels from my programming. However, I don't believe you can even get the SD receivers anymore. They are trying to force me to get HD equipment which I don't want to do.
We have been with DTV for about 25 yrs but I plan to change to Dish Net where I
believe I can get both HD and in motion along with a friendlier company.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you want DirecTV then you really only have 2 choices as ALL of the dome style antennas limit your viewing to SD only, NO high def. channels.
So, for DTV and HD you can use a standard home style DirecTV antenna mounted on a tripod which you manually setup, locate and point at each new location or a fully automatic home style DirecTV antenna mounted on the roof of your RV. Winegard has a unit called the Trav'ler and RF Mogul is called the Eagle. The Winegard is expensive and the RF Mogul is even more expensive ($2000+ ish installed).

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I believe the only automatic aiming portable DTV dish will be for SD only. For HD you'll need to manually aim the dish.

We use Winegard Dish Playmaker. Completely portable and automatic. Supports 2 high definition TV's.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to Dish for my RV. If you have Dish at home it is $5 per month. It is high def and the dome is automatic.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe the only automatic aiming portable DTV dish will be for SD only. For HD you'll need to manually aim the dish.

Whatever you do make sure that the receiver, dish, etc are compatible.

We move our DTV receiver from house to MH as needed. The receiver, house dish and MH dish use the SWM technology.

Update: The RF Mogul automatic HD dish on my MH roof is portable as it goes where the MH goes. :B It could be placed on the ground or use a manual aiming setup as in "portable". :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If we were nearby I would sell you a Winegard Carryout automatic dome at a very good price.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the old multisat dishโ€ฆnot as big as the slimline and uses the smaller diameter pipe/older tripods. Has the tilt adjustment you need plus you need the SL3 limb.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what best means, but I use the old-fashioned Slimline dish on a tripod.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman