Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fall color trip - East Coast States

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

I usually would be doing this in the summer, however things aren't the same.

We are planning a trip with a 42ft 5th wheel down the eastern US. We are coming from Arizona. We are starting in late September and traveling down the eastern US as colors change (7-10 days per campground)

Where do you recommend we startand sto every 7 days or so?
What are a few campgrounds near fall colors or ocean or lakes you recommend?

Thank you

MC
11 REPLIES 11

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions.
We have never towed on the Eastern US.

Any concerns with roads and a 42ft 5th wheel? Any better routes than others?

Depending on your furthest-northeast plans, get a Motor Carrier's Atlas and research low clearance/restricted routes/weight limit bridges. When in doubt, "drive" it virtually using Google Maps satellite and street view. If a campground/RV park has directions on their website and tells you not to follow your GPS, there's a reason for it.

You're not permitted (and won't fit, height-wise) on anything labeled "Parkway" in NY and CT, so don't rely solely on Google maps for routing in those states.

If you are using I90 in either NY or MA, it is a toll road. You will pay 4H or 5H rates, depending on the number of axles (I90 in NY will cost close to $90 from PA border to MA border).

Depending on your dates and how far NE you plan to go, most RV parks and campgrounds in Maine close by Columbus/Indigenous Peoples' Day, many by Oct 1.
2017 LTV Unity

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Head directly to N Vermont & work your way south from there. The are plenty of fall colour prediction sites online. No suggestions on CGs but research through RV Parky, Allstays & Campground reviews will give more than enough info. Lots of fall festivals to look into.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
If youโ€™re going to be in North Carolina then I suggest Mayberry campground in Mt Airy. Mid October to mid November would be the best time. Mt Airy is the home town of Andy Griffith and the town that Mayberry was fashioned after.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I will second staying off the Blue Ridge Parkway with the 5th wheel. But absolutely stay nearby and drive it just in the truck. It goes up and down in altitude, so the time window for fall colors can be fairly wide, as the colors start high and progress down the hillsides.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Mama Gerties is off of I-40 but far enough away you will never hear traffic. As far as towing your fiver up there, we have a 40 foot with a crew cab 8foot bed tow vehicle. Not a problem going up there. It is steep but you are in the mountains. The view is spectacular on the upper decks.

I don't know if you have dogs or not but there is a quiet, clean adult/dog cg in Rutherfordton called Four Paws Kingdom. No one under 18 is allowed so it is a quiet cg. It is further from the Blue Ridge Parkway approx 25 miles. We stay there every other year or so. Driving to the parkway from 4 paws in still in the mountains and also goes by Lake Lure. Nice drive.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on towing a 42 foot 5th wheel up Mamma Gerties campground.

It has been our experience that the color starts in the east and works its way west and south.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m thinking you will want to start in the south and work your way north. This would put you in the NE. I recommend mid to late October for best colors.

As for towing out east! Be prepared for right roads! Even some of the interstates. I personally hate driving in the east/north east!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the suggestions.
We have never towed on the Eastern US.

We are thinking of finding 3 home bases for 10 days each. Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina.

Any suggestions on good home bases for these states?

Any concerns with roads and a 42ft 5th wheel? Any better routes than others?

I know each year is slightly different but what are good bets for days to catch fall colors in Pennsylvania, Virginia and NC? We are hoping to move south with the color.

Thank you

MC

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I would try Mama Gerties in Asheville NC mid October or so if you can get a spot. Ask for a site on the highest level. From there you are right at the Blue Ridge Parkway and you can travel any direction you would like using Mama Gerties as your home base. Don't try and tow on the Parkway.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay a couple of days at Meadows of Dan Campground. It is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway (1/4 mile) Stay there and use your truck to see the area. Interesting history of the railroad wreck - Old 97 in the area.
The Parkway is NOT a place to tow a trailer or drive a motorhome however. Too curvy and speed limit too low and no place to pass.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I would start in eastern Massachusetts and work through New York then through Pennsylvania through Tennessee and South from there.