cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water leak, we cannot find.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Today water started leaking out from between the membrane on the very bottom of the 5er and the metal frame the screws that hold it on are attached to. Upon inspection, the membrane was full of water all the way across the trailer and the entire area in from of the first axle was sagging severely. We shut off the water spigot, cleaned everything out of the basement, there was no water in the basement, and removed the wall to gain access to the area behind the water valves. With the wall removed we inspected everything and saw no leaks. So we turned the spigot back on there were no leaks anywhere. Next, we turned on the water in the kitchen sink, bathroom and shower one at a time. There were no leaks. After that we removed all the screws that were holding the membrane on one side. Here, we could see where water had been, but couldn't tell where it was leaking. I think our next step is to remove all the screws from the membrane in front of the first axle and pull the membrane down to get a better view. But before I do all of that, I thought I'd ask all the knowledgeable people who might have been here before. Is there a better idea than removing the membrane? Can you offer me any ideas of how that area could get wet? The wet area is all below the basement floor. By the way our trailer is a Grand Design Solitude 369RL.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you have checked the pressurized system. THEN I would connect the Black tank flush and run for awhile. IF the fresh water input to the tank is leaking you will get that fresh water in the underbelly. Doug

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
You could cap the pump inlet, close everything off and put a gauge and Schrader valve on somewhere and pressure test the water system with air pressure. That would tell if the leak is from the pressureized plumbing system without needing to see all Of it. Craig

Why not simply pressurize the system with water from the fresh water tank and the water pump? If the pump cycles off and then back on, water is leaking somewhere.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
You could cap the pump inlet, close everything off and put a gauge and Schrader valve on somewhere and pressure test the water system with air pressure. That would tell if the leak is from the pressureized plumbing system without needing to see all Of it. Craig

Careful with air!

Unless you know what you are doing, testing with air is dangerous. Water does not compress under pressure where air does, so the more air pressure you use, the bigger the bomb you will build. Just 2 to 3 PSI is plenty.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
Water will always migrate to the lowest point however the route it takes to get there is often unexpected. Remove the shower pan access panel and while someone is moving around in the shower with the water running, shine a light into the cavity or if you can reach the drain pipe with your hand, look for moisture. It’s an easy one to confirm or check off the list. Good luck. I know how frustrating looking for the source of a water leak is.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what this forum is for. Everyone has ideas and opinions which can help solve problems.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We have been parked in the same site since January 5th of this year. We are winter Texans along the gulf coast. So the trailer hasn't moved and it really hasn't rained enough to talk about all winter. The shower is located above the trailer basement so if that is the location of the leak I'd think the basement would be wet, but there is no water in the basement. This leak seems to be below the basement, granted there really isn't anything below the basement other than that plastic membrane. So all I really know is that the leak is very low in the trailer. We will be heading for home in about two weeks so we have decided to cut a hole in the membrane at the lowest point and just head for home. If it leaks along the way all the water will be able to escape out the hole. Once we get home we'll take the trailer to the dealer where we bought it and let them find the leak and fix it. When I first noticed the badly sagging plastic membrane hanging down so low and obviously filled with many gallons of water I panicked a bit, but with the help of ya'll and thinking it all through I've calmed down and we'll be fine going home. Thanks for your help.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just went through something similar. I found the PEX piping had been chewed through just enough for a pin hole leak. Yea, it's a pain to remove the Coroplast belly cover, but, you'll need to replace the wet insulation anyway. I added more insulation before I screwed it all back on. Just do one side at a time until you find the leak. It makes putting the Coroplast belly back one easier (lining up screw holes).

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Likes to tow wrote:
Imagine the pressure especially in the front when traveling in heavy rain at 60 MPH. Water will come in and lay in the lowest point causing it to sag even more with the weight of water!! Check with Grand Design to find if your unit has the recall. They may take care of this for you.

OP...have you recently been traveling in the rain? Likely source of water intrusion.

Jerry

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
That happened to us with our first brand new trailer. It had rained and water had leaked by the refrigerator vent on the roof through the wall and then into that membrane. This was back in 2007 and I remember seeing that saggy bottom. ugh

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that you have a cracked drain in your shower that only leaks when under strain from the floor flexing while you are standing in the shower with the water running. Try having someone walking around in the shower while the water is on and see if you see leaking below. We’ve had 2 trailers with that exact problem.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out HappilyeverHanks on YouTube. There is too much to just be a coincidence. Same 5th as you, not sure the year. They posted their problem not to long ago-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a recall on some models. Apparently water laying in the coroplast "membrane" can cause electrical issues because of the way trailers are manufactured. These trailers and probably most other brands have all the electrical and plumbing just laying loose and supported by the coroplast "membrane" thus nothing is tied to the frame or structure!!! If that fills with water you can have major electrical issues and possibly even danger because all that stuff could be laying in water. Water can actually be forced in or find it's way in between the screws holding up the coroplast!! Imagine the pressure especially in the front when traveling in heavy rain at 60 MPH. Water will come in and lay in the lowest point causing it to sag even more with the weight of water!! Check with Grand Design to find if your unit has the recall. They may take care of this for you.

I agree with one post that suggested you drill holes in the lowest point of the coroplast to let water out before removing any screws yourself!! It could be very heavy and fall when the last screw is removed.