cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer Services

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend looking to buy a used travel trailer. Is it normal for these charges, 1, $300. walk through after the sale 2, $285 Cleaning fee 3, $400 Check gas appliances. I think they are out to lunch, but I have not had any dealer dealings in over twenty years. Help me out. Thanks in advance. Jim
14 REPLIES 14

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been down this path many times. Over the years I have settled on a no BS approach.

* If I am just looking I tell them that. I do not want waste their time.
* Never buy on the first trip. A day or two of thought clears the head. It reduces a lot of buyers remorse.
* If you miss a fantastic deal, it will most likely be there tomorrow.
* I do not care what the service charge, prep. charge, service fee, taxes & etc. are. The only number I want to know is, what I write on the check.

Finally, I make it clear. Tell them three time so they know I am not kidding. I only brought one check! Any other costs they forgot to mention, comes out of their pocket.

Yes, it is hard nosed, but it works. If not, they probably did not need my business.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RV_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for their response. That is exactly what I thought. but I needed some backup when I told my friend. She is recently widowed and mentioned this to the dealer and they saw a sucker. I went with her to look it over Yesterday and the first thing out is I do not have to lie and I don't. That sent up a signal for me.
I always heard the one that says I don't lie, look out.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this matter.
Jim

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
all add on,s your in P.A call camper care dealer close to deerfield ohio. honest mom pop dealer . they,ll take care of your needs and even emg,problems. I,m a customer.

Drunk post?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Remember it is the total out the door price that is importantโ€ฆprep, walk through, tax, license. Deal on that number alone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out the door price is all that matters.

I bought a used car for my son some time ago. Agreed to price, then they tacked on the add-on's (doc fee). I told them I don't give a **** if the doc fee is $7499 and the car's price is a $1, write it up however you want, but Im not paying a penny more than $7500 out the door. They reduced the price of the car accordingly.

Camping world here is full of themselves with fees. I'll never deal with them.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all add on,s your in P.A call camper care dealer close to deerfield ohio. honest mom pop dealer . they,ll take care of your needs and even emg,problems. I,m a customer.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like ,someone above said, I donโ€™t care what they call it, the out the door price is what matters.
Check with the date and figure any taxes they have to collect, then figure the price you are willing to pay with taxes.
I like to hand them a check made out for the amount Iโ€™ll pay, and be prepared to walk away.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
RV Jim wrote:
I have a friend looking to buy a used travel trailer. Is it normal for these charges, 1, $300. walk through after the sale 2, $285 Cleaning fee 3, $400 Check gas appliances. I think they are out to lunch, but I have not had any dealer dealings in over twenty years. Help me out. Thanks in advance. Jim

Thats all BS. All manufacturers REQUIRE their dealers to check the gas appliances for obvious liability reasons... Tell them to skip that as you know a guy that does it.... Watch them change their story.

Well, buying a USED travel trailer has absolutely nothing to do with the original manufacturer, so . . .
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things have really really changed for the worst. In 2003 when I bought my like new TT from Camping World on I 35 north of San Antonio. There were no hidden fees such as walk thru fees, appliance fees, instruction fees of appliance use or even demonstrating how to install and hook up my equalizer hitch. They did this for me on the spot and I bought the hitch on the internet direct from Equalizer. Those were the good old days. You are being ripped off big time bud.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
RV Jim wrote:

Thats all BS. All manufacturers REQUIRE their dealers to check the gas appliances for obvious liability reasons... Tell them to skip that as you know a guy that does it.... Watch them change their story.

Agree 100%. I would not deal with this dealer. Find another dealer!!!!

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Tell your friend to counter with a two grand lower price and a 6 month warranty. And the cleaning includes washing and waxing the outside.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. No.
2. Hell no.
3. Oh, Lordy - They think they've hooked a sucker!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RV Jim wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
They can (and will) charge anything they can in some cases.
To be honest, final out the door price is the only number that really matters, but if they are hiding behind those hidden fees, how many other things are they hiding?
I'd go someplace else. Preferably a small mom and pop operation.