cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for replacing my Michelin LTX M&S tires

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to replace my 9 year old LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX - M&S tires. These have served me well for 9 years and I could easily replace them with a new set of LT Defenders and be done with it.

However, I know new tires, designs and compounds come out every year and before I commit to another tire, I am interested in other brands and models to research. I am not willing to jump into a 19.5" set-up, nor do I want an A/T or mud tires. I am happy with a HT (highway tire) in the OEM size listed above.

I also do not want a "budget/good enough" tire. My TC set-up is heavy and I also pull a 3,500 lb. enclosed cargo trailer behind me. Safety is an important consideration for me. On price, I don't mind spending good money if the corresponding value and quality is there. My current Michelins have served me very well. I just wish I could have gotten more use out of them before they aged out.

One concern I do have with the Defenders which replace the LTX's is that I'm reading they can get soft and squishy in the summer and road heat. We run the new P-metric Defenders on our 2011 RAV4 I've never experience any jelly like ride performance feeling with the RAV.

Nobody is interested in a tire flame fest here. What I am looking for are some informed opinions and recommendations based on your own, first hand experiences. Thanks in advance folks.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs
16 REPLIES 16

specta
Explorer
Explorer
sonuvabug wrote:

Thanks for your input. The Toyo HT II tires have been recommended. Which Toyo tires did you buy? And are you happy with them?

Open Country A/T III. They are noisier than I was expecting. ๐Ÿ˜ž

They handle good and do fine in the snow but I doubt that I will buy a second set.

My camper weighs just over 4000 lbs.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run and recommend top line Goodyear. All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. Excellent in all conditions. Long treadwear life.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
sonuvabug wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
... snipped ... We've run on BFG AT tires for years. We carry a 3200 lbs Truck Camper, and often towed a 3200 lbs cargo/bike trailer. We run LT285-70-R17E ... 75 lbs in rear, 70 lbs in front when loaded and hauling.

These too have been recommended. Are you happy with these tires? What's the impact of the more aggressive AT tread?

Been buying BFG AT since about 1985, for my construction trucks - several GMC 2500's - and my TC hauler - a 2500HD. We like BFG, obviously ... We'll admit, they wear a little quicker than others claim on Trucks, but can't compare because we always buy BFG. Last couple times, we bought the BFG AT Ko2 ... and have good ride, low noise, and appear to wear well. BFG makes a more agressive tire as well, a mud and snow tread. We do not need that in Florida. We did buy the M+S when we lived in snow country, and found them excellent as well.

BFG is not cheap tires, but with our lives riding on them, we choose to save money elsewhere. Last time we bought the 285's was OTD $1365, all four mounted and balanced - about a year ago.

We believe BFG are good value for the money, but other tires are just as good, maybe less maybe more. I'd stay away from the bargain - cheapo brands.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
LT Michelin Defenders. I had Goodrich AT tires on mine. Tires performed well but the more wear they had the louder they got. Not use to replacing tires early but they got to the point we couldn't stand the noise.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
sonuvabug wrote:
What's the impact of the more aggressive AT tread?

The general differences are louder, lower fuel mileage, better traction in inclement conditions.

You're overthinking this here. You're not going to get a "bad tire" in any brand, save for maybe the cheapo off brand stuff. Opinions will vary so much that you'll reach no conclusion based on others opinions.
You'll have folks who swaear by BFG ATs and those that hate them, side by side...like the Toyo comment above. Literally the most expensive, best quality tires (in general) out there.

You have an antiquated rim size on your old truck. Best bang for the buck, especially since you are wanting a highway tread, is buy a set of new takeoff wheels and tires from a new or newer Superdoody. 18s or 20s will be an upgrade from what you have currently. You'll get new rims and tires and a fresh look for about the cost of a set of ole 16s for your existing rims.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
sonuvabug wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
... snipped ... We've run on BFG AT tires for years. We carry a 3200 lbs Truck Camper, and often towed a 3200 lbs cargo/bike trailer. We run LT285-70-R17E ... 75 lbs in rear, 70 lbs in front when loaded and hauling.

These too have been recommended. Are you happy with these tires? What's the impact of the more aggressive AT tread?

My son tried Toyo's on his truck, tried 3 times to get them balanced, back to the dealer and got the Michelin Defenders. Balanced and happy.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
It's not a typo, they forgot to mention kgs, 1550 kgs = 3415 lbs.
https://dcadprod.azureedge.net/b2b-experience-production/attachments/cl16ju0hv0buv01kvmu9taxm5-agili...

DOH ... as a Canuk I should have figured this out. Thanks. I am curious that not one of the tire shops I spoke to mentioned the Cross Climate. I wonder why as they look like a great 3 season tire which is basically what I need.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
snipped ... I recently bought some Toyo tires because I stepped up to 18" wheels and Michelin didn't make them in the size I wanted.

Thanks for your input. The Toyo HT II tires have been recommended. Which Toyo tires did you buy? And are you happy with them?

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I put Michelin Defender LTX on the wife's Envoy and they flat out sucked. We got about 30k from them and they dried, cracked, split, and flat wore out. I heard they used to be good, but my experience was not that. The Mexican Goodyears that replaced them ride no worse.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've run on BFG AT tires for years. We carry a 3200 lbs Truck Camper, and often towed a 3200 lbs cargo/bike trailer. We've never had trouble in all those years. Well, shouldn't say never, one time had a glitch in one rear tire after a few years wear. BFG replaced two tires in rear, so we'd have same wear on both rear tires. BFG did in fact, deduct a bit for tire wear - but we were happy with that response.

We run LT285-70-R17E ... 75 lbs in rear, 70 lbs in front when loaded and hauling.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

specta
Explorer
Explorer
sonuvabug wrote:
specta wrote:
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate

These caught my eye previously until I researched on Michelin's .ca website that they are only rated at 1550 lbs @ 80 psi. Can't figure that out for a LT tire in my size unless it is an error.

I would have to think its a typo.

I had LT 265/70R17 and they were rated 3195 @ 80 psi.

I recently bought some Toyo tires because I stepped up to 18" wheels and Michelin didn't make them in the size I wanted.

Agilis cross climate are excellent tires.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate

These caught my eye previously until I researched on Michelin's .ca website that they are only rated at 1550 lbs @ 80 psi. Can't figure that out for a LT tire in my size unless it is an error.