cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescott, AZ to Quartzite?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for feedback on routes from Prescott, AZ to Quartzsite, AZ with a 30’ fifth wheel. All the maps suggest 89 south to Phoenix, which shows a lot of switchbacks. Towing all over Colorado, I’ve done my share of serious switchbacks but just not sure of this option.

How about Iron Springs Rd/10 west out of Prescott, then Kirkland and join 89 south of there, then 71 south of Congress to 60 to Quartzsite?

Thanks!
Greg
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
5 REPLIES 5

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Offhand I can think of a whole list of roads you'd like even less.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t been down either of those roads - not a lot of adventuring on the far western slopes of CO. What was somewhat unnerving was crawling down the face of the mountain with the hundred mile visibility to the south and what felt like nearly straight down along the guard rail. Google maps shows some good photos linked to Valley Overlook on Hwy 89 south of Yarnell, AZ.
Valley Overlook
Yarnell, AZ 85362
https://goo.gl/maps/8VeaNWCDdfCePrKK7

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you made it. How would you compare that trip to using Douglas Pass or Baxter Pass Roads in Colorado?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we made it down the mountain.

Iron Springs Road all the way to 89 and on to Yarnell was a good road. We were patting ourselves on the back for making a great choice… and then we crested the ridge on White Spar Highway and over into Cottonwood Canyon. The northbound lane disappeared down the canyon, and the rest of the world dropped off the left hand edge of the southbound lane.

I’ve driven some steep, windy mountain roads, jeep trails, ATV trails, ridden horses and pack mules over some pretty rugged country. This stretch of a few miles ranks up in the top 5 for me, I think. Would have been a beautiful view, I think, had I been able to take the time to look around.

My wife said she had her eyes closed the whole way.

I told her “Me, too.”. 🙂

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the main issue with the 89 south from Prescott isn't the switchbacks, it's the cyclists. There are no shoulders on the road and they can make the drive unnerving. The Skull Valley bypass is a viable, though not as scenic, alternative.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8