Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford stops taking orders on the lightening
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford stops taking orders on the lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
bikendan

Goodyear, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/22 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I didn’t like the orientation of the screen but that’s just because I’m used to our Teslas.
I'm looking at Kia right now.. the EV6. Looks pretty nice, but the dealer wants MSRP for it. I guess in this market he just may get it.

We bought a 2022 Hyundai Kona N-Line last October for MSRP, with $500 off for financing with Hyundai. We were fortunate to pay MSRP since it was the only one like it, in the entire Southwest. Other dealers were adding to the MSRP because they could, since new models are so scarce.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

An ICE mechanic may not be as proficeient with a volt meter and osciliscope as a EV mechanic.

This sounds strange to me. The trade school that I paid my way thru got me into GM training center. Both of those schools trained me on the use of oscilloscope. Of course that was in 1969, so I don't know what they teach now...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I didn’t like the orientation of the screen but that’s just because I’m used to our Teslas.
I'm looking at Kia right now.. the EV6. Looks pretty nice, but the dealer wants MSRP for it. I guess in this market he just may get it.

Haven’t had a chance to see one yet although I think we saw one at a Petrocan charger. They look nice and from what I hear people like them. Long waits for them here though. I’m not sure if I heard correctly but something like an 18 month waiting list? I’m not sure if it’s production or supply issues.

Also haven’t seen towing specs on them or if there is a tow rating. Lots of people towing teardrops here with various EV’s. Mostly Tesla model Y’s and Audi Etrons.

Cheers.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Lantley wrote:

An ICE mechanic may not be as proficeient with a volt meter and osciliscope as a EV mechanic.

This sounds strange to me. The trade school that I paid my way thru got me into GM training center. Both of those schools trained me on the use of oscilloscope. Of course that was in 1969, so I don't know what they teach now...

I guarantee you the average mechanic is not proficient with an oscilliscope. My real point is the entire operation will need to be retrained in a hurry on systems they are not familiar with.
It will be a significant challenge.
Curently the legacy makers are having enough issues building ICE cars.
Introducing EV's at this time is not ideal.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Can't wait to see how this plays out. I think Fords going to make a lot of anti EV haters rethink it. Of course not the macho macho men.

Macho macho men also review facts when making a decision.

Link

Also when fuel prices drop, and they will drop; the macho macho men that purchase this truck just to say they had the first one will be purchasing their next truck with potentially with a ICE.

* This post was edited 04/28/22 08:13pm by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Can't wait to see how this plays out. I think Fords going to make a lot of anti EV haters rethink it. Of course not the macho macho men.

Link

Also when fuel prices drop, and they will drop; the macho macho men that purchase this truck just to say they had the first one will be purchasing their next truck with potentially with a ICE.

Not that I care one way or other what anyone buys,
but anyone who drives Tesla will never go back to ICE.

Its that much better cheaper to fill up and way more eficient. Electric motor is about 99%.

I gave up on Ford about forty years ago due to awful quality problems and would never trust them doing ev better then Tesla

Only problem w Ev is the long wait,once thats solved ice is history.

https://youtu.be/N6-424eLgqI

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My electric car was great.......until the main battery failed......which cost 10 grand to replace......then it was great again....until the main battery failed.....again......which still cost 10 grand to replace......I don't know if it's great again because there is not a battery in the world that anybody has in stock......So my wife will have to wait 6 months to find out if her car is great again.

Until then.....I will just have to guess if my battery powered car will be great again.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Link

Not that I care one way or other what anyone buys,
but anyone who drives Tesla will never go back to ICE.

Its that much better cheaper to fill up and way more eficient. Electric motor is about 99%.

I gave up on Ford about forty years ago due to awful quality problems and would never trust them doing ev better then Tesla

Only problem w Ev is the long wait,once thats solved ice is history.

https://youtu.be/N6-424eLgqI

Yah. And I gotta say, towing with an EV the last couple months has been...enlightening. Range aside, we have towed everything with everything, and it is a whole different experience towing with an EV. We’ll keep it fair and just compare an SUV to an SUV. But towing a small trailer with a gas grand Cherokee and the same type of trailer with an EV SUV is an eye opening experience. Power on tap and lots of it, no hesitation, no shifting, no heating on hills, superior breaking with almost all of it regenerative braking and totally quiet and effortless.

Long range and heavy trailering will belong in the realm of gas and diesel for a few more years yet. But those who have towed with an EV will be looking forward to an EV that meets their needs. It will be interesting to see what comes down the pipe in the next 5 or 6 years.

All JMHO. Not an expert.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I guarantee you the average mechanic is not proficient with an oscilliscope. My real point is the entire operation will need to be retrained in a hurry on systems they are not familiar with.
It will be a significant challenge.
Curently the legacy makers are having enough issues building ICE cars.
Introducing EV's at this time is not ideal.

When I got out of Army I intended to open a repair shop, so bought equipment from gas station/repair shop. (Soon learned I could not deal with people. The tow trucks paid for the rest.)
But with the discontinuation of battery/point ignition most only change parts. Example, working 427 GMC, grossing up to 110,000 a bad plug wire would show up in middle of trip. On shoulder, change cap and wires. Get home, swap back on, hook up 'scope, and replace weak wire. Can you even buy 1 wire at a time?

But my point of mentioning my old training is to point out that training is not a big issue. Likely anybody that retires out of shop will be replaced by a younger person that has been trained on the EV.
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

My electric car was great.......until the main battery failed......which cost 10 grand to replace......then it was great again....until the main battery failed.....again......which still cost 10 grand to replace......I don't know if it's great again because there is not a battery in the world that anybody has in stock......So my wife will have to wait 6 months to find out if her car is great again.

Until then.....I will just have to guess if my battery powered car will be great again.

Over what time/mileage pierid are you talking?

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:
"But my point of mentioning my old training is to point out that training is not a big issue. Likely anybody that retires out of shop will be replaced by a younger person that has been trained on the EV."

Your making my point. Do we have to wait for the current mehanics to retire?
Can we train the current mechnics or do we need to find a new generation of EV capable mechanics? How long will the mechanic turnover take?
How will the lack of trained mechanics impact the roll out of EV's by legacy ICE car builders? In short does Ford have enough trained staff in place to handle the F-150 lightning roll out?
Hopefully they have more EV mechanics than diesel mechanics.
None of my local dealerships have enough knowledgeable diesel mechanics,hopefully they will do better with EV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford stops taking orders on the lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.