Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is there an Air Conditioner using Inverter Compressor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there an Air Conditioner using Inverter Compressor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guy who installed my house inverters explained that to operate properly an inverter requires a certain minimum length run between the inverter and the heat exchanger to operate properly. Something like 20’. He has done 3 installations for me so I tend to accept what he says.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Peter_Crowl

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/22 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

The guy who installed my house inverters explained that to operate properly an inverter requires a certain minimum length run between the inverter and the heat exchanger to operate properly. Something like 20’. He has done 3 installations for me so I tend to accept what he says.

Dave

Interesting. I have three in my house. None are that far apart. The line runs are - IIRC - 12 and 16' with the excess line coiled up behind the outside unit.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 40~48VDC Mini splits available for the solar crowd. More than that, I cannot say. They are supposed to have really good SEER numbers.
Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking at the mini-splits too. But the OP (and me too) is asking about a roof mounted unit that has similar characteristics to the typical mini-split. It doesn't seem that difficult from a manufacturing stand point. Maybe just not enough market to justify the upfront costs. Too bad.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Peter_Crowl

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/22 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

I've been looking at the mini-splits too. But the OP (and me too) is asking about a roof mounted unit that has similar characteristics to the typical mini-split. It doesn't seem that difficult from a manufacturing stand point. Maybe just not enough market to justify the upfront costs. Too bad.

I wonder if it's possible to kludge one together?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

Hi,

The link works--but trying to download the PDF of air conditioners doesn't. I'm on a fiber optic connection at 410 mbps; latency of 3 ms; loaded latency of 150 ms; and upload of 150 mbps.

The page is now behaving. Odd.

* This post was edited 05/13/22 06:45am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/22 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Peter_Crowl wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Dave

Interesting. I have three in my house. None are that far apart. The line runs are - IIRC - 12 and 16' with the excess line coiled up behind the outside unit.
As I said, something like 20’, it was a couple of years ago. And he said he would have to coil any excess near the inverter. He preferred to bury it which is what started the discussion. Our shortest run was just long enough that there was no excess.

Dave

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/22 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

The ones I've seen are mounted on the rear bumper. Probably best to beef up the support (vs the 4inch sheet metal bumper) but should be easy with a little welding.

General thoughts:
- This is not about battery powered air/con running on DC. These are 120v-AC units.
- On a larger RV, you can get a multi-zone with an interior unit in 2 or 3 units fed off one exterior unit.

Avoiding the roof mount is one of the big advantages in my mind.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Peter_Crowl

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/22 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right. A rear mount bracket will have to be welded in off the trailer hitch / frame. I don't see though how to mount a second unit inside the coach. Lines could run on the roof but where would it be mounted without giving up a lot of cabinet space? In the rear above the bed it's fairly easy and not a great loss of space.
I also wonder if a residential unit can stand the rattling and shaking that would be daily life mounted to an rv.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there an Air Conditioner using Inverter Compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.