Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Phone Booster installation

JohnNoel
Explorer
Explorer
So,
I bought a cell phone booster to install in our travel trailer.
I think an ideal set up would be to use the mast for the TV antennae, since we dont have or want a TV in the trailer. My question is what are the odds the TV antennae is using RG6 cable, allowing me, I hope, to simply disconnect the antennae from its cable, use it to connect the booster antennae, and then just connect to the cable outlet on the inside of the camper for the booster, which is there for a TV?

Have any of you done this? It sure would save a lot of work and concern over additional holes.
7 REPLIES 7

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Bobmontana wrote:
So for the ignorant (me) , those of you that are running a booster. Do you see service in places where you didn't before or only stronger service where it is normally weak?

Both. There are places where we can get marginal phone/text service and with the booster phone/text is like normal and we get decent internet service.

there are places that w/o the booster we have no service, signal level below -120db but with the booster we can get phone service and text.
Some of these remote spots also let us get email and marginal internet, hit and miss.

And then there are places where we still get no service even with the booster.

The booster generally has a 3-5 watt max output vs. a phone around 0.8 watts. So if the booster can detect the cell tower signal AND then have enough signal to handshake with the tower (same process for the phone) you can get then get service.

So to get service you must meet two criteria
1) be able to receive and process a signal from a cell tower
2) the phone/booster must be able to transmit a strong enough signal for the tower to process and analyse the signal.

Now for best reception always put the cell phone in the cradle or on top of the indoor antenna wifi pad on the booster. In places where reception is marginal with the phone just being close to the indoor antenna may be adequate. so I just put my hotpsot in the booster antenna cradle.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
So for the ignorant (me) , those of you that are running a booster. Do you see service in places where you didn't before or only stronger service where it is normally weak?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I have a WeBoost Sleek which uses 75ohm cable, but to use RG6 would require an adapter on each end to adapt the F type connectors to the type used on the Sleek.

those are readily available.

We also have a WeBoost 75 ohm system in our trailer.

There are several weBoost amps that have a 75 ohm output. The advantage is that low loss 75 ohm cable is much less expensive and much smaller diameter and much more flexible than low loss 50ohm cable of the same loss. A distinct advantage and the ability to have the antenna 25+ ft from the amp input to avoid oscillation from feedback.

Just make sure you also use a antenna matched to 75 ohms.

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
This is a stellar idea and I want more!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WeBoost Sleek which uses 75ohm cable, but to use RG6 would require an adapter on each end to adapt the F type connectors to the type used on the Sleek.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
tv antenna will use 75 ohm cable. Most cell boosters use 50 ohm cable. A FEW, do use 75 ohm cable and 75 ohm antennas on the output but they are very few.

So....... does your booster have a 50 ohm or 75 ohm output?????If it's 50 ohm, RG6 will be a large impedance mismatch and very poor cell performance.