cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4000 fuel pump re-locate

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a Onan Microlite 4000, and recently had to replace the fuel pump. Wow, what a bear to get to; what were they thinking? The fuel pump and filter is bolted to the floor of the genset, behind and under the starter solenoid, air filter, and the large ECU (all of which must be removed to get access). So anyway, I replaced the pump and filter, re-installing it in the same location. Sadly, the pump started giving me problems again within 6 months (after-market, not Onan brand...yeah, I know...).

On a previous RV, I had replaced a generator (BGE 4000) fuel pump with a generic pump, and got many years of service out of it. So this time, I used a NAPA universal low pressure (2.5-4psi) fuel pump, but I installed it OUTSIDE of the genset housing, bolted to the framework under the RV. This means that if I ever have problems with either the pump or the filter, both are easily accessible without even opening the front cover of the generator.

One final mod: I also installed a 2-way valve in the fuel line between the pump/filter and the RV fuel tank. This allows me to run the genset off the RV tank, or drop a short tube into a stand alone gas can instead. Why? I can now easily run the generator even if my RV fuel tank is low, and I can also run a strong gas/SeaFoam or fuel stabilizer mixture through the generator to help clean the carb.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II
1 REPLY 1

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of a valve to run off a separate fuel can for winterizing / cleaning the carb. Will have to keep that in mind.