cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passing thru BC, YK to Fairbanks - bring motorcycle or not?

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bringing the small motorhome, towing a jeep. I could hang a ktm 500 exc off the jeep of there's interesting dirt to ride, sights to see easiest to see on a plate bike. Route is BC 1 to 97 to 37 to Tok, then Fairbanks.

Anything I would miss not bringing bike? Family and friends meet up in Fairbanks to run the Dalton to Prudhoe. I need to take Jeep this trip for that. One friend will be with me on his Africa twin, not a hard core off road rider nor bike. Also have kayak, so lakes are good.

Also any great camp suggestions would be appreciated! Pic for campground site sizes .. 24 ft with towed jeep, ktm off jeep bumper

Thanks
Chuck
5 REPLIES 5

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Soup. Had an inreach many years. We do a lot of offloading, only used it twice, once came upon injured riders, 2nd time someone broke down?? hope to keep it that way. Seems bike may be a bigger hassle. Jeep is good to go, no worries.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are a zillion places to go ride. Even though I consider interior Alaska to be more buggy country.
If you already have the setup itโ€™s not difficult to bring with.
Sounds like an awesome trip!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands and thousands of places you can take your bike, however you need to know where you can and canโ€™t go. A lot of First Nations land wonโ€™t allow or have restrictions on who and what can travel on their land. You also need to be aware of active logging and mining roads. Most of theses roads with be posted with signs and are radio controlled to watch out for that.
Your Jeep will be great for exploring side roads all up and down BC and the Yukon.
If you really want to explore back roads get your self a few of theses off road books that show you whatโ€™s up the end of xxx road.
Theses books are called Back Road Map Book
BRMB link
I have a Side x Side and I use these books often for the area where I live in South eastern BC.

However, if your going to start taking off in the bush that you are unfamiliar with I would recommend getting a Garmin InReach GPS with 2 way texting and learn how to use it.
There are very very few communities when you start up Hwy 37, and if you break down or get hurt in the bush no matter in the keep or on your bike youโ€™re on your own, as there is no cell service that you can use to get help.
Donโ€™t forget to stop at Stewart BC / Hyder Alaska, to view the bears and drive your keep up to the Salmon Glacier.
Have a blast on your trip.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, so no major off road adventures requiring a dual sport?

Thanks

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Roads that way are, in general, very sketchy due primarily to continual weather damage and permafrost heaving. Your RV will be jouncing along, as will the jeep. Less stress is less stress, but any experience is unique when done with a bike. ๐Ÿ™‚
Since (it sounds like) you haven't been before, I'd suggest enjoying it with the group and the other toys, and go back with the bike next time. It's amazing!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.