cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moorcroft, Wy to Buffalo, Wy

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for an alternate route to I-90 from Moorcroft to Buffalo, WY.
To those of you who are familiar with the area is RT14/16 okay while towing a 30' travel trailer? I took Rt 16 from Hermosa, S.D, to Moorcroft, Wy and that part was okay. Thanks
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
7 REPLIES 7

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. Decided to take I 90 for this leg of the trip.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am aware that some people avoid freeways, though I'm not sure the usual reasons apply here. I've driven the Buffalo-Gillette stretch of freeway (3 times). It's not busy or particularly rough. The only town on 14 is Clearmont, and I wager there's more to see in Sheridan (I've stopped there for dinner) or Buffalo. Taking 14/16 adds 30 miles to a 70 mile drive. That's a relatively big detour with little apparent gain. And the OP doesn't sound like one those RVers who religiously avoids freeways.

The alternatives for crossing the Big Horn Mtns do get a lot of discussion here. 14A is on my bucket list. I've already done 16 and 14.

As for 14/16 being suitable for trailers - I don't see why not. As I said the terrain is basically the same - flat and straight. But any one can take the time to examine the route in great detail with GM sat and streetview.

dedmiston
paulj wrote:
Why would you want an alternative?

Maybe it's Nunya?

Nunya Beeswax.

A lot of people prefer to avoid the interstates if they can find a safe & practical way to do so.

Can anybody familiar with the route answer the question?

OP wrote:
To those of you who are familiar with the area is RT14/16 okay while towing a 30' travel trailer?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US16 from Hermosa goes through the heart of the Black Hills (with slow stuff through through Custer SP and Jewel Cave). I90 skirts around the north side. But once in WY, there isn't much topography or sights until I90 turns north along the edge of the Big Horn Mtns.

US212 is a viable short cut to Billings, saving about an hour drive. But if the goal is Buffalo and crossing the Big Horns, there isn't much to see. Gillette is the center of the area's open pit coal mining.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Paul I wonder why, butthat is your choice. We have done the Hermosa to Buffalo route in part several time and all the way to Buffalo at least once. Much prettier country and certainly more interesting on 16.

I still have my doubts about the 'hand dug oil well' in Newcastle, but who knows? Prices of gas and fuel now, the owner of the well may be on to something
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you want an alternative? A glance at GMaps, shows them crossing the same kind of terrain. 90 is the most direct route. It's been sometime since I drove this stretch of 90, but I don't recall any problems. This is WY, traffic is light, and freeway conditions are not worse than any other road.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we have used that route from Buffalo to Custer, SD a couple of times in the recent past and it was good, then.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.