cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel fuel prices … how is that affecting your RV travel ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is parked in my workshop … NO travel for me with fuel prices like these at over 6$ per gallon even though I can BABY IT to get almost 16mpg.

GOT TO do a major LPG gas upgrade anyways ….
27 REPLIES 27

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Of course this all begs the question of what the ridiculous fuel prices will do to the value of our RV's? If we decide to sell can we find a willing buyer and at what cost? The present inflation and predicted financial future recession tells me that the number of people that can afford an RV will continue to diminish. Hard to tell but it doesn't look good right now and they are saying that it will get worse before it gets better.

Like I tell people that have recently asked about Real Estate --- NOW is the time to sell, now is NOT the time to buy.

I'd think, as you mentioned, the same would hold true for most RV's.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't go as far, but I go just as often. More often even.
I don't always take my trailer in good weather.

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel prices will continue to go up as the supply gets tighter. I remember back in the 70's when you got gas on odd/even days based on your license plate number. Not sure how that will work with all the vanity plates now.:h
I just got a notice the other day that my credit limit on one of my gas cards was raised to $5000.:E
It hasn't really curtailed our driving/travel plans any. But I have noticed the local camper sales lots are getting in more 2-5 year old campers lately. Get a call a week that they have a new 5th wheel in their stock.Hopefully soon I can update my sig.:B
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course this all begs the question of what the ridiculous fuel prices will do to the value of our RV's? If we decide to sell can we find a willing buyer and at what cost? The present inflation and predicted financial future recession tells me that the number of people that can afford an RV will continue to diminish. Hard to tell but it doesn't look good right now and they are saying that it will get worse before it gets better.

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned Pt. Reyes later this month and that will probably be be my longest trip in the motorhome. We live in El Dorado county in Calif. and there are many beautiful areas we can take the motorhome that will be less than 100 miles and that will keep us using the motorhome. But I have a new plan I have just bought an electric bike and if I made a trailer for it I could load my wife and camping gear and head out. All I would have to do is convince my wife?
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
One good option is the old Merle Haggard song...."I think I'll just stay here and drink".

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 40 foot diesel pusher. A couple years ago it cost about 50 cents a mile in diesel, now it's doubled and costs $1.00 a mile. To expensive for me. Downsizing to a small travel trailer (just me and my dogs) and a gas truck to pull it with. Probably still won't be doing as much camping as I use too, but can go when I want.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
what travel?

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've made several mistakes in the last 72 years. It hurts.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
when I retired 15 years ago I did a retirement cost analysis. One of the costs I took into my driving and traveling costs was diesel fuel. I allotted $5.00 a gallon. Looks like the chickens have come to roost, no big deal. I must've driven hundreds of thousand miles by now.
Planning Prevents Panic.......................
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
As one man put it, I can buy fuel but I cannot buy more time.

Prices will curtail most people's travel, and even stop many of them, but some have the resources and determination to not be deterred at all.

We didn't have any trips planned this summer anyway. However, it's not diesel or gas prices stopping us. When we resume travel it won't be as we were accustomed. No long and extended trips for now, hopefully later

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I just sold my 5th wheel. It would cost me $1050 to drive to and from to see my grand children in Phoenix. That's not going to happen. I can fly round trip, do an Airbnb for the same price, saving all that drive to spend with them. Now I'm pondering whether or not to sell my 2000 F350 7.3 truck (165,000 miles). I doubt if I'll put another 2,000 miles on it this year.

1. That extra time with the Grandkids is priceless -- enjoy it!
2. IMO, yes, sell the 7.3. The market is hot and the 7.3 is a very high-demand engine. It might surprise you what you can get for it.

Yep--- I was going to trade my 1999 7.3 around 2010... the dealer only offered me a few thousand so I kept it. I finally decided to sell it in 2015 and got way,way more than the dealer had offered me years earlier. A guy actually drove over 500 miles to come see it and buy it.

Back to the original subject.... we are at the beginning of a 8,000 mile trip. It does hurt when I go to fill up and it's over $600, but we are going to continue with the trip and enjoy our travels.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
I just sold my 5th wheel. It would cost me $1050 to drive to and from to see my grand children in Phoenix. That's not going to happen. I can fly round trip, do an Airbnb for the same price, saving all that drive to spend with them. Now I'm pondering whether or not to sell my 2000 F350 7.3 truck (165,000 miles). I doubt if I'll put another 2,000 miles on it this year.

1. That extra time with the Grandkids is priceless -- enjoy it!
2. IMO, yes, sell the 7.3. The market is hot and the 7.3 is a very high-demand engine. It might surprise you what you can get for it.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II