Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: best way to recover a roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> best way to recover a roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
98coachman

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/22 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Gdetrailer,

Is your roof flat? Mine is curved. I like the aluminum idea.

dougrainer,

Redecking sounds expensive. But I do value your advice.

Well, You CANNOT install EPDM or TPO over the existing EPDM/TPO. You CANNOT install new EPDM/TPO over the existing wood subdeck after you remove the OLD EPDM/TPO. You HAVE to redeck. You overlay the new decking with Wood Glue/screws. Doug

Never heard of needing new decking for a new roof, nor have I ever seen any shops put on new decking unless the old was rotted. Nor have I ever seen this requirement in the instructions from EPDM roof suppliers either.

Where is a reference to needing new decking??
. Xs2. I am redoing a trailer as we speak and there is nothing wrong with the decking. You just need to be sure everything is clean and prepped properly before installing new membrane! Where did you get your info???

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/22 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Gdetrailer,

Is your roof flat? Mine is curved. I like the aluminum idea.

dougrainer,

Redecking sounds expensive. But I do value your advice.

Well, You CANNOT install EPDM or TPO over the existing EPDM/TPO. You CANNOT install new EPDM/TPO over the existing wood subdeck after you remove the OLD EPDM/TPO. You HAVE to redeck. You overlay the new decking with Wood Glue/screws. Doug

Never heard of needing new decking for a new roof, nor have I ever seen any shops put on new decking unless the old was rotted. Nor have I ever seen this requirement in the instructions from EPDM roof suppliers either.

Where is a reference to needing new decking??

When you remove the old EPDM/TPO, you have gobs of old glue and debris stuck to the Old Decking. NEW glue will not adhere correctly to the old glue. Unless you sand the complete roof, (messy dirty and time consuming), and IF you use the original gummed up surface and apply new glue, once you roll out the EPDM/TPO you will have ALL those bits and pieces under the new rubber. IT WILL show thru. Will look like s**t. Now, I only have 43 years of replacing roofs on RV's, so maybe you have more knowledge. Installing new deck over the old only takes about 2 to 3 hours and you now have a NEW/CLEAN/DRY surface to glue and roll out the new rubber. This is not done because the old deck was rotten or bad. You do it because you want a GOOD clean adhered job. Now, what may be stated in the instructions assumes you KNOW what you are doing. I DO. Maybe the shops you have used are just plain lousy and don't care about quality. BUT TO DO A CORRECT ROOF EPDM/TPO REPLACEMENT REQUIRES NEW OVERLAYED DECKING. PERIOD. Doug

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/22 02:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonder if anyone out there has ever sprayed their roof with something like Line-X?

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

udidwht wrote:

Wonder if anyone out there has ever sprayed their roof with something like Line-X?

Not first hand experiance, but I do know that a few Hunters have done that on their OLD junky Deer Lease trailers and motorhomes, which are not worth enough to put on a new roof. Doug

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/22 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long do you want the refurbished roof to last?

If you are just trying to get an extra 2-3 yrs out of it, paint on products can be a good option but they are very much buying time not a long term solution.

If you are looking at another 15-20yrs, probably best to do it right and rip off the old rubber and put down new.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> best way to recover a roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.