cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1210 Cooling issues

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
So, we have a 2016 Jayco Eagle that we bought new in 16 and it has the Norcold 1210 refrigerator in it. We have used the unit extensively over the past 6yrs with no issue.

We are currently at the beach halfway through a two week stay, and I noticed the other day that the fridge was not as cool as usual. Pulled out the trusty temp gun and sure enough, it was 48-50 in fridge, but the freezer was where it was supposed to be at 0/-2. At first I thought it may be the heat because it's been extremely hot and the fridge side faces the beach sun most all day. But then I also noticed that only one side/half of the fins had any condensation and the one side of fins was 32-34, while the other was 48-50. Hmmm ?? I then decided last night to switch to gas and see what happened. Woke up this am to a 39 degree fridge. So the issue seems to be while the fridge is on electric.

Anyone had this issue before that can tell me what is wrong or what is going wrong? Thanks for any help.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS
2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
1 REPLY 1

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The 1210 has 2 Electric elements. It is possible 1 is bad. Also, SHORE POWER 120 line voltage is critical for the 120 side to operate correctly. Using a digital multimeter, check your line voltage at a kitchen 120 outlet and post the results. Your Model refer has a built in "defrost" mode for the lower refer section. This will not affect the freezer section. The Mode is built on continuous running. Every 48 to 54 hours the refer will just shut OFF for a few hours and this allows any ice build up on the lower evap fins to thaw and drain out. Then the refer resumes operation. Top STOP this defrost cycle just turn the refer OFF everyday for a few seconds and then restart. This causes the 48 to 54 hour timer to reset. Now, YOUR TRUSTY TEMP GUN IS WORTHLESS, for checking CORRECT temps in a refer. The ONLY true way to check correct temps is to have a small cup/glass of water in the refer for 24 hours and then take a digital thermometer reading of the water after that 24 hours. ICE build up on the evap fins degrades cooling. Ice is an insulator. The Fins of the evap will be 10 degrees COLDER than the interior temp of the items in the refer. If the fins are 26 degrees, the refer items will be 36 degrees. You MUST have a 1 inch air space at the back wall of the refer to allow convection air to flow UP the back wall, thru the evap fins(removing the heat). These are numerous suggestions to help you determine the problem you may be having. Doug