Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: solar powered electric vehicle.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > solar powered electric vehicle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

This may be be the ultimate boondocking units?

https://solarrolla.com/vehicles/


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol, let's see an RV is going to need at a bare minimum 100kWh of battery, in a van footprint, with wings you can maybe fit 3kW of panels. In an average NA summer day you get about 6 hours of full sun equivalent so you can get 18kWh of power. If you want to go 150-200 miles every week I guess you can have a solar powered RV.


2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/25/22 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Lol, let's see an RV is going to need at a bare minimum 100kWh of battery, in a van footprint, with wings you can maybe fit 3kW of panels. In an average NA summer day you get about 6 hours of full sun equivalent so you can get 18kWh of power. If you want to go 150-200 miles every week I guess you can have a solar powered RV.
Maybe the campground could install some panels and charge your RV with solar power. Could provide shade to reduce the electric load of the air conditioners also.

I am sorry your glass is only half full.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

joebedford

Made It!

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/25/22 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Route del Sol unit has 6kw panels.

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/25/22 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

afidel wrote:

Lol, let's see an RV is going to need at a bare minimum 100kWh of battery, in a van footprint, with wings you can maybe fit 3kW of panels. In an average NA summer day you get about 6 hours of full sun equivalent so you can get 18kWh of power. If you want to go 150-200 miles every week I guess you can have a solar powered RV.
Maybe the campground could install some panels and charge your RV with solar power. Could provide shade to reduce the electric load of the air conditioners also.

I am sorry your glass is only half full.


[emoticon]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

So, instead of planting trees, grasses, food crops to correct supposed man made climate change, we instead strip the land of all it's vegetation, turn the entire planet into vast swaths of solar arrays (which down the road is discovered to cause more "climate change" because solar panels absorb and re radiate heat from the sun) all so someone can drive a solar powered vehicle or RV?

Don't think that won't happen?

Think again, it is happening now..

Imagine all of those wonderful natural places where you camp in, a few yrs down the road loaded to the hilt with all of those eyesores instead of green vegetation, trees and wildlife..

Grand canyon? Grand solar canyon..

Joshua Tree? Joshua solar panel..

Ahh.. nothing like a nature hike in the giant solar panel forest..

joebedford

Made It!

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/25/22 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I planted 5000 trees in my backyard. Can I have an EV now?

* This post was last edited 08/25/22 08:21pm by joebedford *   View edit history

shastagary

minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the route del sol electric rv ended like this
I regret doing this ?? My SOLAR VAN was DESTROYED in the desert
skip to half way through the youtube video solar panels laying on the ground

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/25/22 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surely some group has estimated how much area will be required for solar panels or turnings to provide sufficient power to meet todays needs, not to mention future needs. Nice thin about nuclear or fossil fuels is you need more energy, build another plan. Hard to build more land.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/25/22 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

So, instead of planting trees, grasses, food crops to correct supposed man made climate change, we instead strip the land of all it's vegetation, turn the entire planet into vast swaths of solar arrays (which down the road is discovered to cause more "climate change" because solar panels absorb and re radiate heat from the sun) all so someone can drive a solar powered vehicle or RV?
Please do some actual research on this. The effects have been considered.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/22 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shastagary wrote:

the route del sol electric rv ended like this
I regret doing this ?? My SOLAR VAN was DESTROYED in the desert
skip to half way through the youtube video solar panels laying on the ground


Not necessarily so.

https://youtu.be/R5qPr9eNApw

and

https://youtu.be/o1G5vEG1fKU?list=PLlph5Xtc11M3y_ZPbB1ZyjLTImEp5HV15

and

https://youtu.be/7SXNSuI5om4?list=PLlph5Xtc11M3y_ZPbB1ZyjLTImEp5HV15

* This post was edited 08/25/22 04:14pm by pianotuna *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > solar powered electric vehicle.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.