cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen levelers

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2006 Safari Simba that has been at a seasonal cg for 2 years.I haven't seen it yet but will on Saturday. The owner says she left the Jac
k's down and they won't retract.it otherwise looks to be in good shape,on a workhorse chassis,just don't know if sitting has caused more damage. Thoughts would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Well it was a waste of time. The tires are10 years old. The Jack's though still stuck were a minor problem. The slides were left out thus rhe toppers are shot.the generator doesn't start,but the thing that made me run was that the rear air conditioner was missing and the hole was covered by some type of canvas and eterabond tape sprayed white. So the search continues....

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rickyrocket wrote:
The factory brochure doesn't say what kind, when searched it comes up as LCI(LIPPERT) I didn't know they make jacks.

Meh, Lippert's into lots of things, unfortunately, and it's a "four letter word" to me. Anything they make is suspect, far as I'm concerned.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
The factory brochure doesn't say what kind, when searched it comes up as LCI(LIPPERT) I didn't know they make jacks.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are HWH jacks, the shafts can be cleaned and lubed. If they are the kick down jacks when she said they can't be retracted maybe she meant the shafts won't go back into the cylinder which is a common problem for those jacks, they can kick up, but the shaft is stuck extended. I have a left front jack that won't retract at times. I extend is slightly, then spray it with silicone or WD-40 and work the foot back and forth and the springs will then retract it fully. There is a seal inside that keeps the shaft lubricated once it is retracted. The shaft is SS so I doubt that they are badly rusted. Whenever I leave mine extended for an extended length of time, I have this problem. Once I do this procedure the jack is good for several years as long as I don't forget and leave it extended over the winter. The inner seal probably needs replacing because the jacks are 27 years old and I still have the original springs. If you can get the jacks to work by what I described that vintage Workhorse with 340 HP and the allision transmission is a nice combination. Good Luck.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of jacks, electric, hydraulic or something else. Check switch, wiring, or relays. listen for clicks or other sound when trying to raise the jacks. Check for rust on the extend cylinders. If hydraulic check the reservoir and pump.If HWH call the factory as they may have a mobile techs name and number.

Good Luck

Rickyrocket wrote:
I'm looking at a 2006 Safari Simba that has been at a seasonal cg for 2 years.I haven't seen it yet but will on Saturday. The owner says she left the Jac
k's down and they won't retract.it otherwise looks to be in good shape,on a workhorse chassis,just don't know if sitting has caused more damage. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
5k is not enough, 2yrs this rv needs lot a love jacks might be rusty, pull the fuse could just be oxidation. if you love a project? this might be it.

Nevermind that it's 16-17 years old.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
5k is not enough, 2yrs this rv needs lot a love jacks might be rusty, pull the fuse could just be oxidation. if you love a project? this might be it.

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
It's about 5k under NADA low value,the 2 yr is a worry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the two years of sitting and possible maintenance lapses, why not agree on a price minus whatever it costs to get the levelers operational. Pig in a poke otherwise. The likely roof issues scare me…betting no maintenance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be as simple as a fuse. However not driven for 2 years (if that is what has happened) is not the best for engine, tranny, tires etc. I'd be concerned about other maintenance.

How does she plan to raise the jacks so it can be driven or is it "as is" at very substantial discount below low wholesale value?

If you are interested then after it's operational hire a professional to check everything. Always leave the emotion at home and be prepared to walk.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob