Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
houstonstroker

Houston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/22 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas law is 4500 pounds or more, auxiliary braking is required. Also get the wiring kit and fasten an outlet on the front of the Jeep somewhere. Then the cord plugs into the motorhome 7 way. I also take advantage of the charge wire, so the Jeep battery remains charged.

2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/22 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No affiliation but have used https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/supplemental-brakes/stay-in-play-duo
For my hydraulic braked class c for many years, and before that their air brake system for my 40 ft diesel prior to the class c. Worked as it should, very reliably never an issue. We just completed Alaskan trip this summer. Nothing broke, no false braking incidents, no troubles in spite of the badly damaged roads, dirt sections, mud, occasional snow early in our departure.Both air and electric systems very robust. I couldn't imagine how the surge brake systems would perform with the bucking and bouncing, sections ornplaces an immediate stop on a curve section or detour where I had no towed brakes... jeep pushing the motorhome in such situations in mud, dirt,uneven pavement, mud, ice etc.

I think it a false economy debating whether you need this or not. Fwiw if I did it again I'd get the electrical version first. Will work on any towing vehicle. My jeep has the guts of the air brake system still in it, lights, wiring, but also the electrical. Had it 14 years. Electrical system would have worked just fine with the diesel had I known better back. In. The. Day.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/22 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've read, the surge brake has a shock-style cylinder that activates at 250lbs of pressure applied from the toad in a braking or shoving situation from the toad onto the RV via the surge brake tongue connection. Simple, straight-forward cable connection that if installed correctly, should work in those situation you describe in Alaska. Force is force regardless if its from braking/sliding/slipping/bucking.....too much pressure and the surge brake will pull on the toad brake pedal as needed. Obviously, if the toad goes sideways in a slide all bets are off (as in most all braking systems).

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/22 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps best to visualize the situation as a series of speed bumps going around a corner or even around corner up or down hill. Either way, better to have towed brakes than not.

Good luck with your purchase,

Cb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.