cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout stuck in half way position

MrWizard
1997 Bounder 36S
Because of extended extreme heat, a few days back i decided to bring in the slide and reduce the space to be cooled,
But it didnt come all the way in,
its now half way in/out, so now its not weather sealed or bug sealed, the blood suckers have been eating me alive, and we have major rain approaching from hurricane Kay, its hydraulic, when i push the switch for in or out i hear the pump whine but the slide doesn't move, doesnt even "thunk" like hydraulic ram piston & linkage usually does when working,
Maybe the Heat has addled my brain cells, but i havent found the fix for the problem, im guessing that hyd solenoids arent being activated, the slide system and leveling system are separate , i need to get it in so the rv will be rain tight, i don't need or want the high wind driven rain pouring in,
The freaking 2 week triple digit extreme heat interrupted my fuel line replace/repair so i am unable to start the engine, but have two battery chargers, and have always had enough power to easily operate the slide,
What am i missing where do i need to look, can i pull it in with a come along or ratchet strap, push it out some how,
I have a 6 ton hyd body ram/tool/jack
I prefer having it come IN
But OUT is better than stuck half way, i use the word stuck, but its not physically bound as far as i can tell, its not twisted and has clearance on both sides and top , its not stuck in the opening and its not gear driven, its hasn't been leaking hyd fluid,
Control for the solenoids or the pump blowing an internal seal are the only things i can postulate as possible problems, but my thinking might be muddled
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
15 REPLIES 15

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I know that I am late, but here goes.:
It is an Easy Glide by Hydra-Slide(1991-2008).Custom Cylinders International in Winchester, KY has a lot of info.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yankee Clipper wrote:
In my 97 Coachmen, the HWH hydraulic pump had an in-line fuse to each acivator component 4 levelers and hte full-wall slide. When this happened to me, it was a 5-amp fuse that failed from moisture. The pump itself cut off when the fluid got under 50% to keep the pump motor from burning up.
As noted above, there was a strap style chainfall to manually retract the slide.
I was under the forward booth seat and hooked to a mount under the cabinet under the counter where the trash compartment.

HTH,

There is NO pump cut off switch for fluid level or any parameter on HWH systems. Run the pump too long, it will burn up the motor. Doug

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
In my 97 Coachmen, the HWH hydraulic pump had an in-line fuse to each acivator component 4 levelers and hte full-wall slide. When this happened to me, it was a 5-amp fuse that failed from moisture. The pump itself cut off when the fluid got under 50% to keep the pump motor from burning up.
As noted above, there was a strap style chainfall to manually retract the slide.
I was under the forward booth seat and hooked to a mount under the cabinet under the counter where the trash compartment.

HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Gottahaveit
Glad you got it resolved George. Been thinking about you and also glad to hear your still out and about. Kathie
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mr Wizard,

I'm glad it was so simple!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
It is amazing the 97/98 Fleetwood Bounder owners manual has NOTHING about the Slide or Jack system.

not at all. That's a separate manual. Most RVs do not come with a Manual. they come with a large folder that contains a virtual library of manuals
One is the General RV's manual.. not much useful in that book
And then there's a manual for the steps
The Doors. The mirrors, The fridge, The TV, and it's antenna, the Water heater, the water pump. The vent fans. the air conditioner. The Microwave. The stove, oven and vent hood.. (ITs a long list I'll stop here)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Situation has been resolved,
The slide is apparently wired to the engine/chassis battery getting a full charge on the a battery has allowed it to work normal and be pulled in, it's now weather safe , for the coming rain tonight

Great news! Thanks for posting the update! I hope you're safe from the impending storm.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MrWizard
My thanks too all
The situation has been resolved,
The slide is apparently wired to the engine/chassis battery (although the key does NOT have to be in the On position) Getting a full charge on that battery has allowed it to work normal and be pulled in, it's now weather safe , for the coming rain tonight
Extreme heat muddled brain, i inadvertently drained the battery while checking my fuel system (which i am working on,) by leaving the key on
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is amazing the 97/98 Fleetwood Bounder owners manual has NOTHING about the Slide or Jack system. So, it will depend on the poster to supply more info. Brand and type Jack system. Brand and type Slide system. IF you have 2 separate Hydraulic pumps, only need slide system Brand. Both HWH and Powergear back then supplied 2 pumps. BUT, Dewalt also supplied a Slide HYD system. SO, without knowing what system you have, it is almost impossible to give to accurate help. The sound of a freewheeling pump, usually means that either the system is sucking air or the solenoids are not opening. BUT, sucking air would mean low fluid level and you should have seen evidence on the ground of a leak. Does your system have a key lock button interface inside for operation? Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check the hydraulic fluid levels.

These videos may have some hints.

Manual override:

https://youtu.be/H0ETwE3SrCM

https://youtu.be/_TBgPuZeg9U

Here are some failure points:

https://epicoutdoorclub.com/fleetwood-rv-slide-out-problem/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
any body close that could help? shear pin? low fluid. more than one fuse? can you tarp it for the storm all things you already checked.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard,

I'm sure you checked this, but I didn't see it specifically mentioned in your post....

Are you sure there's sufficient hydraulic fluid in the system? If you checked it before you moved the slide, check it again with the slide mid-deployed.

Sorry, I don't mean to annoy if you've already checked that, but in troubleshooting, it's always important to start from the beginning.

Good Luck, and I hope you're able to get this resolved quickly.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.