cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane coming

birdsong10us
Explorer
Explorer
How do I secure my 30’ class c??? I’m in Ft myers nd we were taking a direct hit but now perhaps only 75+ mph
12 REPLIES 12

birdsong10us
Explorer
Explorer
Oh how well I remember Charlie!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Current track shows it well off the coast of FM (we're in Port Charlotte), but, remember Charlie in 2004 that took a hard right turn and surprised everyone in and around Punta Gorda. Try to determine wind direction and park it head first, jacks down, water filled and hope for the best.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I too would drive away if possible. Next best is as stated by bgum.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Start it up, put it in "drive", drive away from the hurricane 24 hours prior to landfall.

^^^ Absolutely agree! I've lived in Florida since 1970 and have never seen a need to 'ride out' any hurricane. Common sense goes a long way, and besides, even if you stay there, what can you do to change the effects of it? Be smart, leave.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
This web site is very helpful. www.windy.com
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Even if no high winds, because of likelihood of flooding rains, fill your fuel tank now or risk water in fuel if filling right after the storm passes.

Said another way, if the gas station parking lot floods, a good possibility that some water will get into the tank.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

birdsong10us
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Can’t leave the area unfortunately. Didn’t think about filling tanks. Good to know. I have a separate garage/work shop building and thought to park it in front of that.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
For the Tampa, St Pete area: Wind will start from the EAST and build to the SOUTH as Ian moves north off the west coast.

At least that is the current forecast.

Here is a very good site for wind speed/wind gusts:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26.50;-81.46;7&l=gust&t=20220928/1500

As with all prediction sites, the closes to arrival time, the more accurate the forecast. This is the site we use when we sail offshore/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Start it up, put it in "drive", drive away from the hurricane 24 hours prior to landfall.

X2
2010 Suncruiser

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
face it into the wind, put your stabilizers down and hope that's enough.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a site on the net known as. Wind direction. Or wind finder Face your nose in the directions of the arrows. Fill all tanks fresh, gray, and black. Put all stabilizers down.